Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint on hood starting to crack....possibly from radiator heat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ds350, Jun 25, 2002.

1. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

I had my '87 blazer repainted about 5 years ago. After about 3 years there were small cracks starting to form near the nose of the hood. I brought the blazer back to the body shop and the owner stated that it could be caused by the heat of the radiator, since the damage is centered above it. He had no issue repainting the blazer. After washing my blazer this last weekend, I was surprised to see the same problem happen again!

Has anyone heard of the radiator "heat"causing the paint to start cracking? The paint is guaranted for life, but since the same problem occured again I am not sure if it will be covered.

(I replaced the under-hood "blanket" at the same time the blazer was painted.)

Any help would be appreciated!
    Danny

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Gee Danny- I think it was the prep/paint or something to do with that. If you have the insultation under the hood, and your truck's not overheating...I can't see the radiator producing THAT much heat as to crack the paint. My truck hasn't had the insulation under the hood since about 5 years ago- previous owner had no problems with cracks, and my new hood doesn't have the insulation either- granted, the new hood is only primer- but I can touch my hood after driving around and so forth.

I seem to think it was something in the prep/paint...not the mechanics of the truck itself-

Brandy