Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint Peeling Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Has anyone been successful in winning a claim against GM because of their dreaded paint peeling problem. If you can you share any of the details? I have a '91 with minor peeling and want to submit a claim. Thanks in advance.

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> My sister did a few years ago, They repainted it for free..........the problem from GM was the fact that there wasn't ample drying time for the primer coats so the paint didn't adhere at all ! I might be able to help if you tell me what you're looking for.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 with the same problem, I would also like any information that you can give. Thanks
    88K5Jimmy

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

How far back does this go?? mines an 86, and I would really rather paint it myself ( being a bodyman ) but if I can get GM to strip and repaint it Ill be that much farther ahead. Besides it will be real funny to see the look on their face when I roll up on 38s. HEHE! Another reason I would be willing to let someone else have to do it. [​IMG]

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!![​IMG]

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I'm 99 and 9/10's sure you have to be the orig owner. My aunt had a chevy car with the paint peeling defect but wasn't orig owner, they won't do anything about it, so unless you are orig owner, I think you are out of luck.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Ben's right on the money..I forgot to mention that too.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

7. Pure Insanity

Oh well I guess Ill have to build a scaffold around it then. I was really hoping to get outta painting the roof most of all! [​IMG]

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

here's our story.
    bought the truck new from dealer in 89, was blue/silver/blue. at one point the truck had 3 (yes 3) spots on the hood width of a pencil, length of my pinky finger, all side by side on the hood. in '94, brought the truck back to the dealer, went into the service dept, said, "seem's my paint is coming off my truck" serive guy calls body shop guy, comes out, wrote down the vin, got the codes out the glove box. back inside the building, punches buttons on computer says, "okay BTF autobody, Monday, at 8 AM. I'm thinking okay they are going to fix my hood, cool, show up at the autobody shop monday morning, ask the guys, so when can I expect the truck back, he says' probably 2-3 weeks. I almost fell over, here's what GM did for ME!
    sand blasted ENTIRE truck inside of bed included down to bare metal,, primed, painted, baked, new decals, pinstripe etc... truck looked better than the day signed papers for it,, here's what I had to do

go without my truck for 3 weeks,
    moral of the story,,, I wasn't an (&amp;^&amp;$*)&amp; when I went to the dealership, it was the dealership we have/still use, if you don't have a relationship with a dealer, at this late in the game (been years since they discoverd the problem) you may not get anything at all... I thought they had settled the "recal" that they had. if not, good luck

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

9. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    i was in an accident a few years back and took it to the local gm dealership to have it "fixed."i get it back and the paint was the last of my problems that I had, but I wont go into that. Well needles to say I was in the accident about 4 years ago. Two years ago i noticed the paint peeling. WTF this is supposed to be new paint. upon closer look under the "new" paint is swirls (obviously sanding) and then straight on top of that is the new paint. Didn't even prime it, nothing. Well I said F$%k it and primed the whole thing. I will never take any of my vehicles ever to the dealershiop of any kind for any problem (unless its warranty.). I'd rather fix it myself and do it right. I hate Dealerships. sorry had to vent

Danny

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

10. Pure Insanity

In the defense of the body shop ( all body shops apply here ) They did not get paid to strip your truck to repaint it. All they got paid to do was paint over the damaged areas. The problem prob didnt show up at the time, or it would have been fixed more than likely. When I painted on cars or trucks that I knew were problems, I would try to "test" the surrounding panels as well as the panels I had to paint, to see if they were gonna peel. If so I then took care of it accordingly.

This could have happened to ANY shop, not just the dealer. Even so it may have been "tested" and done OK and not needed to be stripped at the time.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

would have to agree-- when your in an accident they get paid by the insurance company to repair/replace damage from the accident, not resto a car.... luckily fo me,, my dealer rocks.. speaking of which,,, hubbys Z-71 is there as we speak, getting its computer rebooted. truck is a 99 with 67,000 miles on it, and I don't even have to pay for it. Talk about SERVICE!!! Not all dealers are the same, I'm sure most are not as good as mine, but we have bought 5 trucks and 1 car from them, along with all kinds of parts etc.. maybe that's the reason they treat me the way they do?

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I tried to get that on a '91 s-10 I had and if it's older than eight years, then they won't repaint it. So, they won't repaint it [​IMG].

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

13. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I had an 85 K20 that the paint "fell off" in 88 . GM told me F^%^K off it was out of the 12/12 warrenty period. Talk about leaving your customers out dry, on a three year old truck. At least Ford gave thier customers a 2K credit on their next purchase. GM just gave most of their customers a good %$%$^%^ing . By the way, both me and my wife drive Fords for our daily drivers, no complaints. I have a K5 for trail bashing, but I would never buy another new GM vehical after being treated so poorly. Next year I'm buying a new Ford or Dodge 350 diesel, not even going to give the Duramax a look. Just had to vent, still pissed at GM for that one ( along with millions of other owners of 82 to 95 GM trucks with bad paint).

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.