Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

paint prep for top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stickshooter, Nov 4, 2001.

1. stickshooter

stickshooter Registered Member

How do I prep the fiberglass hardtop on my K5 for painting? I don't want to sand it and loose my texture.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Just clean it off with paint thinner, let it dry and paint.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

When I got my truck painted, the body shop foreman told me that they had to apply something to the fibreglass to etch it before they painted it. I'm not sure what the product is called, or if it's similar to thinner.

Another thing to consider is that you can actually apply a different kind of coating(instead of paint) to the top if you sand it down in order to retain the OEM appearance. I got my top done in rubberized, textured undercoating and clear-coated. It's tough and looks great!

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

As long as you dont take all the paint off when you clean it off, the new paint will stick to the old paint. The thinner will etch the old paint.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>