Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint prep & Windshield wiper arm removal ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Jul 9, 2001.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I feel really stupid asking this one but how do you take the wiper arms off ? I'm trying to get the cowl off for preping for paint. THe front clip is off the truck with a tarp covering it in the driveway. My yuppy neighbors just love it. New metal is primed in the garage and the old rusty stuff is under the deck in the backyard. ANother question. WHat type of primer doesn't rust ? the truck will be primer exposed for about 2 weeks probably. thanks
    Blake
    Oh yeah, I got the energy suspension body kit ordered "2nd day air" from summit

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Spray a primer sealer over it. This is what hot rodders do for the primer look with no rust. There is a tool you need for wiper arm removeal most auto parts places sell them. Someone might know another way. Might be okay for a couple of weeks though.

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Here's my method for wiper removal - if you look on the wiper arm there's a little protuberance on it where it mounts on the cowl - on the underneath side of it, there's a little tab, that if you push up on with a screwdriver will release the lock on the wiper - pull up on the wiper arm while pushing the tab and it will pop right off (usually - some require a little extra persuasion). For primer, I'd just spray it with sealer while it awaits paint, it's cheaper than priming it and sanding it down again.

<font color=red>Cripplefight!!</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A> Updated finally[​IMG]

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    where can i get ahold of this "primer sealer" ? Auto paint supply ? Don't laugh but my primer is rustoleum automotive primer from a rattle can that i get at the local hardware store. But trust me, I've got the whole fine sanding down to an art. I stripped down the paint down to bare metal in many spots and made everything smooth. I at least thinned out the paint if not bare metal. Then primer, fine sanding, and more primer. ANd it's all real smooth. I'm doing this on a budget since i'm only 17. I'm planning on taking the primered body to a paint shop to get the color and clear sprayed on because of my lack of supplies. does this sound decent ? I'm not going for any type of show vehicle just something better than my "multi-colored" panels i have been driving around with for a year. Thanks.
    Blake

5. Chaotic

Chaotic Newbie

For primimg the best thing you can do is go out to the local Harbor Frieght and buy a spray gun.. if a compressor is avail.
    Then go to an auto supply store and get a gallon of Laquer Primmer and a gallon of laquer thinner.. these mix 50/50
    make sure that the primmer is going to have a scratched surface for it to stick to.. ( A scotch Brite pad generally works) but best if sanded with about 320 grit sand paper and then scotch brite. Once the prep is done Spray with the Primmer mix and let dry. Don't spray on dry cause them you get alot of dust, try to spray on wet. Once dry you should be ok with the whether elements outside. I had mine primmered for months.
    Before painting wet sand with about 400-600 grit to give it a smooth glass like texture.
    Prep is the most important part of a paint job.. If you half ass the prep no matter what color you shoot it will look like crap.
    as long as you take your time you should be cool..
    Have fun..

85 Jimmy, 4 " Sup lift, 37" SSR's & they don't rub, Dana 44, 14bf

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You can get sealer at any body supply or Napa - Napa even sells it in spray cans. Sounds like you've got the plan down, but definitely spray it with sealer, either spray can, or get a gun and shoot it. Most reducers will lift household grade primers unless a sealer is used. Also use a color that will work with your chosen basecoat color. Napa's standard sealer is a tannish gray and will hide well under any color.

<font color=red>Cripplefight!!</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A> Updated finally[​IMG]

7. StageZ

StageZ Registered Member

My paint job consists of 17 cans of Krylon Auto Primer and a few chunks of bondo...any good auto primer will prevent rust.... as long as you prep her and sand her right, anything will look good...