Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint Question for my K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ED70K5, Aug 28, 2000.

1. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna do a spray-can paint job for now, cause I'm getting tired of looking at the ugly camoflauge job the last owner put on. What color will mask the sheetmetal imperfections?? I was thinking of flat black, until I can save enough cash to get a REAL paint job!

Blazin' in TEXAS!

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I plan on satin black for mine. As a matter of fact I will be doing it this week , i think! By the way, where in TEJAS are yaa??

[​IMG]

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

That is going to be one HOT ride!!!!!! I am thinking "Classic" Primer grey or flat white. And every imperfection spot hit with some flat black. You could have a Holstein K5. Mount some long horns and have some fun. Or you could go Gloss white and pepper some small grey spots and have a real mans golf cart!!

4. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

Primer gray sounds like a good idea, too! I heard that primer absorbs water. Is there any truth to that?? Oh yeah...............I'm from LAREDO, TX.

Blazin' in TEXAS!

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

primer is always a good first coat, but you need to top it off with a coat of enamel or laquer. I did mine primer black and by the end of the year it was grey and had surface rust all over. I redid it in flat black enamel and thats worked great for 2 years now. Very easy to touch up.

6. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Primer, even the expensive epoxy stuff will allow surface rust. Then you'll have to jitterbug the whole thing, and it'll cost alot more when you have it painted. If you gotta use cans, flats are the only way to go. I saw a black one in a recent magazine and it looked pretty good. I just started doing my own paint work. Really nice results with single stage urethanes and base/clear systems. It was pretty cheap to get into (alot cheaper than a good paint job) and I make some cash on the side. (People were paying me at first with better equippment). Biggest issue is isocyanates, gotta get a good air supplied hood so you don't die, and have a place to do it. I saved about 400.00 on my vehicle doing it myself.

"who dares wins"

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

First of all, the flat black will only BRING out imperfections. Black is always the hardest color to paint and most shops charge additional to shoot it. Even though it'll be flat it will still bring out the imperfections. You could try a flat silver or grey, if you want to avoid white.
    Primer WILL not protect against moisture, but a SEALER will. If you're interested in that, let them know at your local auto/body supply store, that you want sealer and not primer. There's a difference.
    It sounds like whatever you put on is going to end up getting sanded off anyway, so save the money and buy yourself the Krylon. I've seen cars spray canned before with gloss colors and it's very hard to get good coverage out of a spray can for such a large area.
    If you're more concerned with covering the camoflague, why worry about the dings? Worry about those when you're ready for a nice paint job.

8. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

It is much easier to see scrathes and imperfections on darker colors. I hear orange hides them the best. I think a good ratlle can job will cost you around 80 dollars. You need more sand paper, more primer and more paint for a full size. I remeber seeing a F*rd in a 4wheel and off road mag that had a pretty good looking camo job that was painted on with a brush. But you said you didn't want the camo.

9. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

If you are going to use a rattle can try to find a paint made by Seymour. This paint is great!!! They consider it an industrial protective coating. It comes in a 16oz can and it covers great. The first blazer i bought this year was camo'd, I did not even clean or sand and the paint, looked like i sprayed it with a gun. It took only about half a can to cover an entire rear quarter. I found it a local auto body supply store.It coust around $5 a can but i would say 5 or 6 cans tops to do the hole job. Im sure it comes in an array of colors also.

Another option may be to just spray the truck in a laqure paint. Some what cheep and very easy to apply. I just bought some, the quart of paint with a gallon of thinner only cost me about $65. You have to mix the paint 1 to 1 1/4 So you really are getting 2 quarts or so. The paint dries to a satin finish but can be buffed to a glossy look. Just food for thought.

Good Luck,Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm painting mine this week too, gloss white with dark metallic grey below the trim. Finally, it won't be 4 different colors anymore!

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have never had any luck with lacquers or enamels. The coverage is always splotchy (we've all seen vehicles like this). You really have to have some pro equipment to make them work. The only thing that I've even gotten to look good is base/clear. You build up the color in a lot of light coats and you never have risk sagging it by trying to bring out the gloss. Because of this, it's more forgiving. Then you wet sand it to get the color relatively even. After that, you cover it with a really light coat of clear, wait maybe 30 minutes and then hit it with a full layer of clear. You cover it with clear just until you see a shine, so that the clear doesn't try to run. The key to a good job is to have a clear coat that is really hard. Otherwise bugs and stones mess it up in a hurry and you'll want to repaint again in a year.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

12. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Just curious. If your base coat isn't laquer or enamel, what is it?