Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

paint question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Apr 17, 2005.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

forgive me for posting about a ford. my dad's taurus. someone backed into his bumper and drove off without leaving a note (jerk). so, we made a trip to the junkyards. the bumper we pulled is close enough in color that he doesn't want to blow $100 (the best we've been quoted) to get an exact match repaint. anyone have any tricks or know a decently priced product to lighten up a color just a little? if i need to strip the clearcoat to use the idea, that's fine. maybe we'll just cover it up with stickers, ricer style. we all know each decal adds 5hp. will asian symbols help an american car?

2. toomanytoyzz

toomanytoyzz Registered Member

How bad is the damage? If you can repair the bumper go that route. If there's a dent remove the bumper and use a heat gun to make the rubber more pliable. Use a large screwdriver or pry bar to get it to pop out from the back. If theres' a rip or tear in it, use a grinder to mend it. The friction causes heat which will actually fuse the rubber back together. Then it's time to use plastic. Metal glaze works good on rubber. Regular bondo or something similar doesn't adhere to the bumper nearly as good. Sand it smooth and use a primer suitable for rubber and plastic parts. Marhyde has a good primer with a flex agent which I always use. It's in a red can, and it's called flexible primer. Wet sand it with 600 grit after applying a few coats. It sprays very thin so watch out for runs. After it's smooth wet sand the entire bumper with 1000 or 1500 to knock down the clear. Spray the spot you fixed with a couple of coats of base coat, let it dry, and clear it. Wet sand the bumper with 2000 the next day, buff and polish, and you're done. That concludes your lesson on bodywork 101.

Oh, yeah, if you don't have any of these tools/supplies buying them will exceed the price of ten bumpers. So I'd opt for the .99 cent sticker, but make sure it says something in ENGLISH PLEASE!!!

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

bumper is shattered into about 20 pieces and gouged bad. lost cause. i hope you know i was joking about all that ricer crap. i have no clue why people put all that junk on their cars. even brand new cars at the dallas auto show, last weekend were covered in it. so dang tacky.