Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint question.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rebel222, Dec 4, 2000.

1. rebel222

rebel222 Registered Member

Here is my delima... I got my 80 K5 and it is pretty ugly. The hood is not red anymore, it is brown with surface rust. So are the pillars between the doors and the top. I have never painted a vehicle, but I know how. My dad has painted a few vehicles. If I paint it I would have to wait till it warms up because the car port is outside and too cold. There is a guy in town who I am gonna ask to paint it if I strip the chrome and everything off. I would have to get the dents pulled either way because I can't do that (tried before on my friends rig). How much should I pay him to sand it, fix dents and paint it? Or would it be better to wait till warmer weather and paint it myself??? I haven't gotten an estimate so how much am I looking at if you can count the dents on two hands? Thanks...

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I painted my first blazer (a s-10, I know I know...) outside in Washington... I did it in the late spring early summer an dwished I haad done it in a temperature controlled environment where I could controll temp and humidity...
    I'd wait till summer and do what you can yourself...
    Then pay someone to do what you cant do...
    REMEMBER: It's what you build, not what you buy!!!
    Ask the guy that may help you if you can do it at his place and pay him for his "help" ???

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

The bodywork and prep are the most expensive part of any paint job. If the panels are very bad rust or dents you may be better off replacing them. Unless it is above 65 with loe humidity you will have problems. I'm getting ready to do a 66 grand prix I'm doing all the sripping and body work removing all the chrome. Paint job could be anywhere from 800 up for quality paint. If he is doing all the work I would think from 2000 and up there are too many variables. Really depends on how nice you want truck too look decent to concourse.