Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint recall

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Jul 6, 2001.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

It seems to me that many of the GM vehicles from mid 80-90 had a clear coat paint problem. Those of you that know...was there a recall on your blazer/jimmys? Not that it matters now of course. Just trying to determine if mine should have been painted. The paint is fine except for the hood and top. I think most of the grey blazers like mine had the same prob.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't know about a recall but I just finished sanding the clear off then buffing. Looks good enough that I think I can delay painting one more year....

Dave

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I checked into this when my paint started to flake off my 89. I went down to the chevy dealer. They said they would only cover it if it was still under warentee. I also talked to a few body shops around town. They told me they didnot know of anyone who had any sucess in getting GM to repaint their vehicle. Once it was out of warrente.
    I also checked for paint recalls. there were none. just a few TSBs (techical service bullitins) on how to repair the bad paint jobs.
    From what I found out it was the primer that was the problem. It was not compatible with the paint.
    I never did persue this any further because I sanded down and repainted the small area on my K5 that was bad. and It seems to be holding up all right.
    I think thet the only way to get any action may be to call the GM corperate offices and raise hell. if you complain loudly and long enough they may instruct a local dealer to paint your rig just to shut you up. A firend did this with Ford when his paint job started to flake off. They repainted his truck for free.
    If you can get any results I and many other GM truck owners would sure like to hear what happened.

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?</font color=orange>

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

It was actually a primer problem. In order to fix it, you have to sand all the paint off. I'm not sure if you can just roughen up the primer or if you have to sand the primer off too. But the paint didn't stick to the primer and started peeling.

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</A>

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mine was a clear coat problem - the paint is fine. My clearcoat
    started turning white and crusty but he newly exposed paint was good.

Dave

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

6. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

it wasn't a primer or paint or clearcoat problem.. it was a the greedy pricks in acounting at gm. what happened was when they went to take bids for the paint and primer one company was cheaper on paint and the other on primer but they where told that the paint and primer was not compatable and they would have problems but the went the cheapest route anyways.....

7. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I had a 85 that the paint "fell off", since it was four years old GM told me piss off. There was a class action lawsuit that was filed against GM, I don't know the outcome. The body shops I talked to said it needed to be taken down to metal to get all the primer off to do it right. Ford had the same problem, but they atleast gave thier customers a 2K credit on their next purchase.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Gray IS a problem paint in general. Metal exposed to heat expands and contracts. Silver/gray paint (at least at that time) contained metal IN it, so the cycle of hot cold took its toll on the silver paint prematurely. At least thats what I've been told repeatedly. BUT, I have SEEN it happen on many, many silver/gray vehicles, no matter the make.

As to the paint, my '83 K5 (red) and '86 K5 body (Dk Blue) both have/had the "peeling" paint. Both on sun-facing surfacesonly. '83 the primer stayed in tact, the '86 even the primer came off.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen