Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

paint removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ZfromNJ, Feb 20, 2002.

1. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone knew how I can take the home paint job off my hard top. I did some research on it and people were telling me that some strippers might effect the composition of the fiberglass. What do you guys think?

{crazy}

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Chemicly stripping it will prolly make it fuzzy, I would just sand it down by hand or with a DA sander.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

3. Alex

Alex Registered Member

ZfromNJ, yes, “paint-strippers” may damage the fiberglass. Remember, fiberglass is a composite blended with sheets of fiber. You want to sand it as PowerMad mentioned. Also, you may not want to strip it completely because the old paint &amp; primer will act as a good base. Of course this depends on the condition of the existing finish. Just remember to use a good primer before painting. Rent a DA (or buy one) and good luck.

4. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

thanks fellas I am planning on doing it this weekend and I will let you guys know how it comes out.

{crazy}

5. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

yes, I sanded my top down...actually just scuffed it with a scotch brite pad...and had it painted along with the body...came out very nice..also added (before the paint) a few cans of texture...
    good luck

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

First of all, I wouldn`t use stripper, unless the paint is cracked and flaking and you`ve removed the glass and weaterstrip!! I`ve used zip stripper on fiberglass before, not AIRCRAFT Stripper, most tops were gelcoated at the factory so it hard to harm the f-glass. I`d try a small section first to make sure there are no problems!!