Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint sprayers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 28, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Anybody have any good tips on paint sprayers? I need to paint my house, and the brush and roller weren't doing me much the other day...

I'm seeing sprayers on Ebay for $30 - $999. I can't really tell what the differences are from the $98 home depot model...

Hey Corby, what'd you end up using?

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've used smaller Wagner sprayer (1500 psi) for inside work. If I were to paint my house, I wouldn't use anything other than a airless sprayer. Home Depot rents them for like $175 a day. IMO, well worth it. Just get your entire house prepped first and all the item's you'll need. Then just let'er rip!! Dip my buddies house in under 6 hours with one guy on the airless and two guys doing trim work with brushes.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Why airless? I have a dozen air sprayers for auto painting, but I'm just curious why airless would be better on the house...

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

airless pours the paint out with a minimum of overspray. it'll spray stuff the consistency of ketchup. we use one to spray barrier coat (thicka$$ primer) on boat bottoms. it really pours it on /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

whereas a regular syphon gun needs to be thinned to a much thinner viscosity to spray, plus it atomizes the paint extensively, thus more overspray in the air and wasted materials.

when we sprayed the inside of our new shop (20' ceilings, 25'x 60') i pumped about 40 gallons of paint thru it in a couple hrs. it'd be worth a rental for sure...

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've been told that the Wagner Power Roller is the ticket to quick painting, but I haven't used one myself...

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

airless is the way to go, less over spray=more paint put on the house. with an airless, you can put upto 5 gallons (depending on what machine) on it instead of 1 quart in a wagner or auto paint gun with a lot of thinner.

for painting a house you want a 517 or 519 tip, it has a wide pattern and covers good with out putting a ton of paint down. the first number is the pattern width, higher the number the wider it will paint. the second it the size of the tip in thousandths (ie: .017", .019")

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool, that's some good info. Thanks, I'll shop ebay at least a little more educated.

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

There was a thread on PBB Priest posted about info on sprayers and the general comments I recall was to avoid Wagner. It's not very old, I'll see if I can find it...

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have an airless sprayer...paid like $350 or so from Homely Depot....I painted my 24x36 shop (Less trim) in about 45 minutes....took longer to move the ladder than it did to lay down a Nice coat of paint...

last summer I painted my house and one of my rent houses...not sure of the sq footage....my house is mostly brick with Big eaves...did it off a 28' ladder...did eaves and soffets in about 2 hrs (because of the ladder)...brushed the trim took a day and a half...really nice coat of paint...able to blow it into nooks and crannies hard to get at with a brush....I prepped really well also....

the rent house was all siding...1250 sq ft house...lower eaves...took about 2 hrs...trimmed in about 4 hrs with a brush (had two guys helping)...

Airless should be able to rent for Considerably under $100 a day....I think I got better paint management, better coverage, more even, and used less paint....I used a big piece of stiff cardboard to help block near windows and edges as a straightedge to block overspray...

I've gotta paint two more rent houses if this dang rain ever quits....Airless sprayer has saved me $$$$$...also the Only way to go if ya gotta paint a fence....

for interior, you just change tips, lower the pressure, and let 'er rip....When I prep my rent houses for new tenants, I usually cover the windows and carpet, hang plastic sheeting to block whatever room off (like the kitchen), Great for popcorn ceilings...if ya got a large area to paint one color, it's super....

mine has two wheels like a dolly...ya just strap in a 5 gal bucket of paint (No thinning of latex), and go wheelin' around the house...30' hose...hell, it's a Cadillac.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif