Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint touchup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jun 30, 2000.

Hey guys (and gals). I did something all kinds of wrong. I read all the posts on here about paint touchup and still did something wrong. Here's my story (and I'm sticking to it).

I put on some touchup paint (w/out clearcoat which might be why) that looked like crap. But I figured I would buff it down/blend it and see what it looked like. So I got some 2000 and 1500 grit sand paper and some 3M buffing compound (rated at 1500 grit). So, I figured logically that the 2000 grit sandpaper would buff even better than the compound. So I tried to "sand" down that spot. Well whatever I did, the spot looks like total crap now. I went out a little around the original spot, and now I have a crappy non-clearcoat blue spot in the middle with a large white crappy spot around that from the sandpaper.

HELP!!! (Thanks as always everybody!)

1. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey John, sounds like you have the "clear coat" all scratched up. When it gets lots of scratches ( from sandpaper in this case) it starts to look "milky white". You really need an electric buffer to build some heat in the clear and some medium and then fine buffing compound. You can really make matters worse with one though if you're not careful. It's easy to burn the paint. You might try to find an "orbital" type. They don't turn as fast so burning is less likely. You might have some success with the hand method...just remember you have a very thin coat of clear to work with. You have to buff with finer and finer "polishing" compund to get back to where ya wanna be. I'm no expert, but this has been my experience. Good luck!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

2. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

yeah that touch up crap doesn't look to good on my jimmy...just looks like whiteout

<font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=blue>Burnett</font color=blue>
    cameronburnett@hotmail.com

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I did the exact same thing last year and it cost $1100 because i tried to touch up a bunch of little scratches that you wouldn't even notice anyway.