Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by mouse, Jun 18, 2004.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I am contemplating repainting part, or all of the blazer. I helped my dad to paint a car in 1988, but not much since. I have a good sized garage and a 6.5 hp air compressor. Is there a recommended book, web site , etc for learning the basics of auto painting. I would like to buy a good paint gun, etc, but have no idea what brand is good.

Thanks for the advice...

2. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i cant recommend a book, ive learned from my dad and uncle doing it for a living.
    but a good brand gun would be
    Sata, Devillbis, Sharpe, and the top of the line in my opinion, Binks (Joe Binks invented the spray gun way back in the day when he took a job painting buildings).

try here
    http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i own 8 or 9 guns. mostly Devilbiss with some Binks and Sharpe thrown in.. gravity (touch up gravity feed is sweet), siphon, 2 qt, 3 gal. a siphon is the standard that will get ya by for anything, including any pressure pot stuff. but if i had to have one gun it would be the fullsize gravity Devilbiss.. they spray so nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i hear the Sata are very nice, but kinda pricey...
    no links, but if ya need any advice on prep, products, etc, shoot me a PM...

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I appreciate the info. I will be shopping for a paint gun and respirator in the near future. I just had no idea where to start...

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

with the toxicity of todays car paints, you might also want to look into get a tyvek suit, gloves, and full hood. you might not breath the paint fumes in, but you can absorb it thru your skin.

the isocynates in the paints will Fug you up.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    with the toxicity of todays car paints, you might also want to look into get a tyvek suit, gloves, and full hood. you might not breath the paint fumes in, but you can absorb it thru your skin.

the isocynates in the paints will Fug you up.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
    and 3m respirators are nice in my eyes
    grant