Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by René, Apr 22, 2002.

1. René

René 1/2 ton status

What is true at this history? It seems to me, that the paint on Army-Blazer is steadier against rust than on the civilian models.

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

It's a thicker mixture commonly refered to as "non-skid". Ment to keep things from skidding around, people from slipping, and as you figured out, stop rust. Pretty much everything, from hand carts to mobile artillery peices, gets a coat of it in some color or another.

It's got some sort of a thickener in it, not sure what. All I know is don't drag your knuckles across it! Owwwiee!/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

plus they arnt painting em to be pretty so they glob it on over whatever was already there , and the newer paint is CARC paint NASTY stuff dont sand it without a respirator or something . Chemical Agent Resistan Coating is what it stands for i think .

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

And of course like everything else causes cancer.

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE HAVE THE NEW CK5 COMEDIAN ! i think u cause cancer too fool

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

OH YEA, Actually thats what they always told us when I was in the military.

7. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

About CARC paint. CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) is a two-component polyurethane paint (defined in MIL-C-46168) used as a finishing coat on military combat equipment. CARC is designed to be easily decontaminated after exposure to liquid chemical agents, and the coating also is resistant to water, weather, hydrocarbons and acids. Component A is a polyester resin and Component B is an aliphatic isocyanate curing agent. Unfortunately, CARC chemicals represent a significant hazard to human health if not processed properly. YOU MUST AVOID CARC PAINT!! The military applies CARC and removes CARC only in carefully regulated, specially built coating facilities. It should never be utilized without special respirators, protective clothing, and hazardous waste disposal. This warning also applies to removal of CARC: do not sand or use any other process which will generate dust with CARC residue. (TB 43-0242, CARC Spot Painting has a full discussion of how to use CARC safely).

Isocyanate... sounds a lot like cyanide to me.

8. René

René 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the global information. Here, we have large difficulties to paint older vehicles.
    Civilian models have thermoplastic lacquers, they never stop gassing.
    Ex-Army’s this special lacquer, which one must remove completely, before paint with acryl lacquer.
    But as I already said. Ex-Army’s have much more rarely rust...

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Great, so the military is selling us vehicles with "special" cancer causing paint on it./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Buddy of mine got a CUCV Blazer from the Navy a few years back. He just rattle canned it black over the green paint. Looked cool with the flat black and the rough texture./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Come on guys! CARC is polyurethane paint, with a high solid (pigment) count, plain and simple. You don't breathe it, you don't eat it; just like any other paint but more so. Thanks to Calcide for having the Tehcnical Bulletin handy.

By the way, CARC is a pain-in-the-ass to spray! Stuff is full of lumps (pigment?) right out of a fresh can. Thank god it's not 'sposed to be pretty. If you look close at Mil equipment it's full of runs and inconsistencies (not just my work either!).

11. René

René 1/2 ton status

OK! I avoid to lick at my car, but I also heard that CARC should be more dangerous than acryl lacquer. Other question: Can one buy CARC somewhere? Or is it not more manufactured?

12. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

CARC is still made and applied to ALL U.S. tactical ground equipment. I've never seen it offered for retail sale anywhere. If I can remember I'll check tomorrow, and see if the manufacturer's name is on it.

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Finally: The manufacturer for CARC, single component (haven't seen the two part paint in years, maybe they stopped using that?) is HENTZEN COATINGS, out of Milwaukee, WI (414) 353-4200. The trade name is 383 Green Zenthane, MIL-C-53039A(ME).

The special primer for bare metal (which IS a two part epoxy) is made by DEFT CHEMICAL COATINGS out of Irvine , CA.