Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Speaking of paint - how many of you have done your own paint? I have a few ideas of what I want and it's not 2-tone brown like I have. Either white tiger, orange, or purple. Orange will go better with the tan interior. I'd love pink flames, too. Here is the big issue - off roading. We are in the woods here and scratches happen very often. I want something I'm not afraid to scratch, but that looks kinda cool. Any tips? We are set up with a sandblaster, air compressor and spray gun. I'd like to incorporate pink if I could, being that I'm a girl and proud of it!

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I did mine in Viper Red. I used Deltron Acrylic Urethane. I should have done the clear coat. But I figured Naaahhh..

After my first outing I got all the "pinstriping" I could handle. Tried to buff it out... but nope.

So now I am looking at something that won't show dents, and scratches so easy. I am thinking of using some pure white color. But who knows. I like the red too much.
    Thinking of doing the black rims, black grill work, and painting the hard top black, then redo the viper red again. OR do the whole thing in white and chrome!

Do it!

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Krylon= /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I just sprayed my truck flat khaki(is that how ya spell it?)Its from krylons camo line of paint.I used almost 30 cans.I spray canned it so I could touch it up easily when I screw it up and it was cheap.

I know spry cannin aint for everyone but the more ya spend on yer paint the more /forums/images/icons/frown.gif yer gonna be when ya ding it. Especialy if ya know yer gonna scratch it up /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I used an HVLP gun and some good paint from PPG. I got mixed results, but overall OK. The guys at the automotive paint store are usually pretty helpfull and will sell you all sorts of stuff to improve the quality if that's what you want. If the store is not helpfull, find another one. Automotive paint stores are usually in the industrial part of town - check the phone book. Most of the work is in the preparation. Make sure you have a clean work area (or clean it up before you paint) and read the directions on the paint and reducer cans.

If you have a conventional spray gun and have never used it, expect a big mess and a lot of overspray. The HVLP gun let's you paint outside with little overspray.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I was going to go with paint until I took it on a trail for the first time. Decided to Duramax the exterior (same as herculiner, but comes in colors) and save some heartache. Permatex, a similar product, can apparently be custom color mixed. So how 'bout a pink herculined exterior. Then you could have your own slogan: "I'm cute - but I'll skin you alive if ya mess with me" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I LOVE this idea!! If it passes by the boss (hubby) and is within my price range, I will probably do it! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I don't want to be afraid of scratches of all the stupid things. I would rather worry about not getting stuck and stuff!

7. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I went rattle can to if you take your time it comes out nice only cost me 50 bucks and when I get a scratch just get in the glove box and spray it away. the Krylon industrial stuff is pretty tuff to, not to mention it is legal to do in you driveway.

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm going to be painting my own here soon. I'm going with white. White is good cause scratches don't show up as bad or dents. Plus, it's easy to fix. I'm getting some paint that's similar to tractor paint. It's supposed to be tougher than normal paint, still shiney and not very expensive. I wanted to do a neat color, but I'd rather wheel it and not worry about it. If you're going to wheel it, stay away from metallic or pearl colors. They're very hard to match

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Where does a person get ahold of Duramax? I'm coming up with nothing but diesel engines in my web searches.

Thanks again

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Ooooops, you couldn't find it because I gave you the wrong name. Sorry. Here's the link to Durabak: Durabak There's also a company called Permatek or Permatec that has a similar product that you can add paint colorants to, to get a custom color. But they have a red and a white, so you could get pink easily enough! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Looks like I'm going to go with the dark blue.

11. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I did the rattle can thing with the $0.99 cans of black. Cost me something like $13.00 to cover the swampstang ... Looked great until the first mud run /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

what the hell it was cheap... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Hubby laughed at the idea /forums/images/icons/blush.gif . I need to think about it more, and find some pictures. I'm not sure if I like it or not! I need to see one that looks a little bit nice first /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Great idea though! It just feels weird to take a vehicle with shiny paint and spray it or something. LOL. I did get ahold of Durabak finally. Thanks!

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    just feels weird to take a vehicle with shiny paint and spray it or something

[/ QUOTE ] Ahhh, see, you have shiny paint. I have $hiat paint. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

14. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That would make it easier! Mine is shiny but still ugly, peeling in some spots, rusty in some, and scratched from the trail /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . The color doesn't do anything for me. Maybe I need to just take it down the trails a bunch more times so anything would be an improvement!