Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painted Grill

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84blazin, Aug 2, 2005.

1. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

So I got bored with my grill and painted it a few weeks ago. Needs too be sanded and painted again. I also need to exchange headlight bezel with a certain someone so I can get those paint and put on too. :wink1: Also did the dash in a flat black but I have no pics of that yet. Whadda think?

[​IMG]

2. k5bl

k5bl Registered Member

Looks good, I did the same thing including the headlight bezels.

3. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I would like to do this to my grille, but i was wondering what you do to the chrome so that the paint sticks? I have an '89 so its just the plastic chrome, I think I could sand it right off, but was worried it would leave sand marks in the plastic?

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

use some self etching primer, it should fill in any sanding marks. Also use some really fine paper, like 150+, that won't leave much markings.

5. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Cool, thats what I was thinking as far as the super fine paper. Should i take all the chrome off all the way down to the plastic or just scuff the chrome? Thanks for the input!

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

89 grills are beautiful and you should not paint it.

7. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

(concerning 89-91)you can paint the black part over again....i did on my 91...just take the grill off and tape off all the chrome...wipe down the areas you're going to paint with like windex(to get off anything that will not allow fusion spraypaint to stick)....spray with fusion spraypaint(works on plastics, metals, and others)

before(faded): http://home.comcast.net/~thfonz98/blazer2.JPG

after: http://www.bowlingballexchange.com//upload_files/grill.jpg

camera phone on the second but the grill looks much better, also did the air deflector below the bumper with the same paint.

8. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Actually the black on my grille is still in good shape and I just want to get rid of all the chrome, I would also like to do the mirrors and door handles but I would probably have to get those sand blasted or something and I dont feel like doing that right now. I probably should actually wait till i get a new front bumper since a black grille might look goofy with a chrome bumper.

9. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I would try to scuff up a small portion, and paint it. Let it dry and try to peel the paint off. Then if it won't peel or chip, do the rest. You could probabily use a small orbital sander to make the job go fast.

10. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

The black on my grill was badly faded and the chrome was bubbling, so I had no fear of messing it up. I still plan on replacing it and if the paint on this one holds up, I'll probably paint the new one too because I like the way it looks better. I just sanded it, primed it and painted it with rustomleum Hammered. It's been like this for a couple of months of ddriving with no probs.
    [​IMG]

11. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

That looks awesome! I think I will hafta go ahead and do it, actually looks good with the chrome bumper too. My truck is gonna look like a swat vehicle or CIA or something, It is all black with all fender and side trim removed, and it will soon have black steelies with 38's once I get the one tons in that have been sitting in my shed. The only things that wont be black on it will be the lugnuts, and the silver strip that runs across the tailgait and my bumpers for now.

12. BigCountryx

Sounds like we're on the same page. I've got the Black Steelies and CUCV 1 Tons (Almost complete with the rebuild), My Flip and springs, My xover, all that is left is my Driveshafts and Tires. And my plan eventually is to have everything that is now chome to be black and paint the body a solid gray or silver. Probably Massey Ferguson Silver Mist or Flint Grey :whistle:

13. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That's a really good looking truck. If it just weren't for that tag on the front it would be perfect. WAR EAGLE!! :D

14. BigCountryx

What can I say............Geaux Tigers!!!

When I bought the truck in Jackson MS, It had an Ole Miss Rebel Flag on there. The guy said sorry, I've got to keep that for sentimental reasons. I said No Prob, but I need those bolts you just took out and then wipped out my LSU Tag. He said good luck making it back to LA. lol

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Hey Austin , anytime ya wanna come over is fine by me :D

You don't really need that chrome around the grille either come to think of it :wink1:

16. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

I'll give ya a ring on Wed night.

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Cool , that would work . Engine installing/pulling may be going on , bring beer :D

18. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

Will do :pimp: :waytogo: Also might have to help me install some rock lights :D

19. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean about those Ole Miss guys. I live here in MS and I get sick of hearing them go on and on about a team that basically $uck$ year in and year out. I wish I could have seen you put that tag on right in front of him. That's awesome.

20. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I noticed in the pictures that all of you have faded or yellowed front turn signal/Parking light marker lenses. My 90 lenses were like that until I sprayed them with Starting Fluid and wiped them down. Now they look like new. Some Carb/Brake Cleaners will work as well. Just a tip. :wink1: