Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painters ... got a ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 28, 2002.

I just picked up a Sharpe Colbalt gravity feed spray gun to try my hand at some painting. The instructions say to clean it with a 'suitablt solvent' and 'compatible cleaning solution'. Could they be any more vague? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif What do I use to clean it without harming any of the parts?

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

use paint thinner to clean it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Actually, the reason it says that is because different paints use different solvents. Lots of primers are water based these days, so if you shoot a water based primer through it and try to clean it with solvent, then you'll end up with a gummy mess. So, clean it with whatever solvent the paint you just sprayed uses. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Laquer thinner is the most common cleaning solvent for: enamels, laquer, urathane and epoxies.

4. Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Why couldn't they just have stated that in the first place? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I'm off to break in my new gun /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif