Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paintin' the ol' top smooth

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Paintin\' the ol\' top smooth

Has anyone tried painting there hard top smooth. I mean sanding the original down all the way, sealing it, primer, and using the paint you'd use on the body. I'm not sure if I want to go that way or just using a semi-gloss paint instead. I'd love to see any pictures for someone who has a top like this.
    Thanks [​IMG]

(Please direct all hate mail to "Blazer_Boy" because I don't think "BlazerBoy" would appreciate it [​IMG])

2. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Re: Paintin\' the ol\' top smooth

Check out my truck in readers rides i just sanded and painted mine with a roller and house paint turned out great. Peple ask if i had it sprayed

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Not sure I'd recomend house paint, but regular acrylic enamel, 2 stage or any automotive paint will do the job. I think there a several 2WD Blazers in the readers rides that are smooth......that's what I'm planing.

Michael[​IMG][​IMG]

4. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I smoothed mine, and painted it to match my Dark Blue Jimmy SLE...I love it.....if someone can tell me how to attach a pic, I got one.....JD

89 Jimmy headers built 700R Auburns Molys 4:10 4" 10B/12B Con-ferrs 10" Rallies 33" BFG Muds Alpine/Fosgate

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I did that on my wifes 87. used a d/a sander and painted it with reular paint. we just semiglossed it. looked real good. no pics. sold truck.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'd love to see it [​IMG]. You could probably put in the readers ride section to begin with. Then you find out the adress for it by clicking on it then you put those images tags around it. Just check it out in the FAQ, should help ya out.

(Please direct all hate mail to "Blazer_Boy" because I don't think "BlazerBoy" would appreciate it [​IMG])

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I got it into readers Rides...I'll try to find a shiney pic to post so you can see the full effect...I don't think it would work as well in white, but I really like the look...my truck is subtle enough to not really notice until I'm parked next to another K5.....

89 Jimmy headers built 700R Auburns Molys 4:10 4" 10B/12B Con-ferrs 10" Rallies 33" BFG Muds Alpine/Fosgate

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The ol' hot rodders use to use house primer to spray their cars... it is easy to spray and it last a long time......

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hate to admit it, but my first car was a 49 Olds ...and it was primer gray...also had a 55 Chev 2dr post primer gray....and a 56 Crown Vic primer gray when i got it, that I painted Canary Yellow (original color) it had a white interior.......does that make me an "old" hot rodder?.......I'll admit to being the oldest person to post to this BB.....JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....