Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

painting a hard top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyjeff, Jul 28, 2004.

1. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

going to paint the old hardtop next weekend. going to pull it of the blazer and use a roller and a rattle can /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    what paint or coating have you guys used to paint yours?
    I am looking for a low gloss black finish that will stand up to the texas heat

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I rolled on bed liner, looks real good.

-Chris

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    low gloss black

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    texas heat

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a smartass or anything... But you're basically proposing to put a solar oven on your K5.

Anyhoo, if you want the finish to be smooth (probably not, since you're using low-gloss) you'll need to smooth the surface of the top. Scuff-sand with 220-grit paper, clean real good, then apply a couple coats of Bondo to smooth it out. Sand, prime, then paint to your heart's content.

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Here is a close up pick of my hardtop that I rattle canned flat black.
    [​IMG]

And here is one from the rear. You can see the color that the top used to be on the lift gate.
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

As you can see from the inside color, I have not had a chance to take the top off to paint the inside yet. It has held up well for the last year.

5. k-5 jimmy fan

k-5 jimmy fan Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    going to paint the old hardtop next weekend. going to pull it of the blazer and use a roller and a rattle can /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    what paint or coating have you guys used to paint yours?
    I am looking for a low gloss black finish that will stand up to the texas heat

[/ QUOTE ]

Wife came up with our two hour total painting solution. Left hard top on, cleaned very well several times, taped & draped with Visqueen. Used a sponge, the Wally World rattle can automotive paint was sprayed directly onto the sponge, then dabbed on. One initial application with a follow up second coat two days later made for a durable pseudo baked hard finish. ( 100+teens ambient here in AZ desert)

It did a great job & looks gooood, for as we all know, the crinkly FG finish is not finicky.