Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting Axles Question....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Dec 5, 2000.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

What type of paint do you have to use to paint axles? I want to get rid of the brown surface rust look.

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

2. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

im gonna paint mine with POR15 here real soon. if all the paint is gone off of em, prep work is pretty easy, and this stuff lasts almost forever. check out thier web site, it list distributors that might be near you. good luck.

EODBRIAN

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I cleaned mine up and painted them with Rustoleum rusty metal primer then with Rustoleum gloss black.

4. UseYourBlinker

Another question for ya. Did you remove the axles or did you just mask off certain areas where you did not want paint?

5. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Hey Eric, I'm gonna do the same thing. If I ever get off my lazy a$$ that is.[​IMG]I don't want to pull the axles unless I have to(those 14 bolts are a bitch to move around!)I will be switching over to cross over steering soon, and I plan to paint the front axle then. I'm gonna use POR15 too.

[​IMG]

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    If it aint a show truck, a brush works pretty good! Cut right into those tight areas and you dont have to worry about geting it on your tires, shocks, oilpan, or whatever. With the POR15 remember not to use it out of the can, dip out of it and put in another can (so it dosent permanently seal the can)

7. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i used barbecue grill paint!!! no primer and it is heat resistant and it costs less that reg. paint,,here it does anyway...it looks great and is VERY durable..

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I used a wire brush on mine to get the majority of the rust off and then bought a couple cans of 99 cent wal mart flat black spray paint. Went to town. But I'm a po' boy.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

9. UseYourBlinker

Well I will have to give it a try next week, because I have NO MORE SCHOOL till the new quarter which starts Jan.8th! Thanks my fellow friends...and Merry Christmas

10. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I am in the middle of an axle swap and have the soon to be new ones on the trailer, ready to go to town for a high pressure wash. Any ideas about cleaning other than a wire brush as mentioned, and painting, should I paint just the axles or side of the brake that faces the axle, I do not know what it is call, vacuum plate?

Also I have a transfer case, any paint ideas, same stuff, no stuff?

Finaly COLORS, anybody doing anything other than black, my K5 is white all over, and just thinking of any advantages (other than the image thing) of a different color than BLACK......

Oh, the comment about moving a 14 bolt, darn those things are heavy, even with the wheels on. But what a surprise to me was how much 3/4 ton spring shackles weight, and a 205 transfer case is a bugga to load on a trailer by yourself, it must have taken me a 12 pack to get all that stuff loaded, but man, it sure looks cool on my car trailer.....

thanks,

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

When I had my axles apart, my backing plates were pitted badly so I had them sandblasted and powdercoated black. Then I wire brushed the rest of the axle and painted it flat black. Don't sandblast the whole axle unless you're doing an entire rebuilt complete with having the housing dipped and all. You'd never get all the sand out of the insides. Well there's my 3 cents, gotta go to work now...i'm broke. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

When I rebuild my axles the color I'm gonna choose is graphite. I had my driveshafts painted like that and they look pretty cool.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]