Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

painting axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Oct 22, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how did you guys paint ur axles? take them someplace..i was thinking about just cleaning them up and spray painting them but it would probobly come of eventually

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i just wire wheel em and paint em with rattle cans (cheap autoprimer followed by cheap glass black). Someday when they are set up exactly how i want em, and Im rich, maybe I'll get em powder coated...

j

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I just finished cleaning up my new 14bolt last night sealed it all up, degreased the heck out of it and rattle canned it flat black, just to find that the breather hose had a crack in it and sucked in a bunch of water /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif what a pain in the ass. Anyway everytime I fix a part or change a part on my truck I rattle can it flat black, lasts a little while, my front driveshaft is still pretty and I painted it a few mud holes & a few thousand miles ago.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    how did you guys paint ur axles? take them someplace..i was thinking about just cleaning them up and spray painting them but it would probobly come of eventually

[/ QUOTE ]

What you need:

1 case of Brakeleen (12 spray cans)
    A couple old toothbrushes (firm bristle is best)
    Lots of old cardboard or newspaper to lay underneath
    A few hours
    Lots of fresh air

Combine the items above in a joyous mix of fumes, grease and good 'ol fashioned "bonding" with the part in question.

By the time your done, the axle will be sparkling clean (if rust is an issue, that will be an additional step....I know nothing about rust /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Final step:

Eastwood Company makes a paint called "Chassis Black". It's a high solids epoxy rattlecan paint that will do a nice job over clean metal (no primer needed). I use the Gloss version, but they make a Flat also.... it seems to be durable, and it lays down REALLY nice.

Eastwood has a website, shouldn't be too hard to find.....Eastwoodcompany.com maybe????

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, eastwood has a free catalog too...got mine recently. they have neat stuff. Someday when Im rich, Im gonna get my a sand blasting set up with some glass bead media and a powder coating setup as well. My whole rig will be full on bling from then on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif that really is the best way to paint an axle IMO. Just costs $ to get the gear to do it...

j

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

heh....yea lemme tell you working on these trucks when there rusty is a whole different world.lol mine have a couting of rust on them..but i wouldnt call them extremely rusty..probobly nothing a wire wheel couldnt fix..

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

First I take-it to the quarter wash...and pressure wash-it..
    Then I drop-it off at Marvin's place for blasting...
    (He has a 100hp compressor and a sandblaster that holds a 1 cubic ton of sand)

Pick-it up...hand him $25...

Mix some PPG DP90...
    spray it with 2 coats...
    wait 1 hour...
    top coat it with 2 coats of enamel or urathane...

It's normally ready to touch in about 6 hours.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wire brush and por15

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yeap! dunno if ill be able to afford the por-15 though,...but when i do my lift i wanna paint the springs ands axles..might as well while its all out

10. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Wire brush attachment on grinder, engine degreaser, car wash, brake cleaner, satin black rustoleum clone from Walmart /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

Did something similiar, sangblasted, then wiped them down with body prep (a product used to remove grease, fingerprints etc) Primed with ppg epoxy primer and used a ppg Omni frame enamel to finish. Turned out nice. Only problem with blasting is one should replace the brake lines after, FYI.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] RANGER: When you absolutely, positevely, have to have them killed overnight.

12. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think if more people tried using the "High tech" paints...they would find...
    it takes less time, cash and effort... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

14. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I sandblasted mine, used a good primer then used a black satin finish. The 30 min after installation you couldn't tell what the hell color they were supposed to be or I spent a lot of time and effort cleaning them up. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I just wire wheeled it down to bare metal hit it with some krylon... works fine. You might wanna POR15 or Rustoleom it, if not clear coat it for best protection.

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Used a wire wheel on my 4.5" grinder, oven cleaner, pressure washer, and some Napa Industrial spray paint. Nothing eats grease and paint better than oven cleaner.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Went from this-
    [​IMG]

To this-
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I took mine to the car wash to get the big chunks off first, then I spent some time with a wire brush on the grinder to get them to bare metal. Then I wiped them down with some laquer thinner to get all the dust off and painted them with some glossy black engine paint.