Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting brake calipers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CA K5, Jun 3, 2004.

1. CA K5

CA K5 Newbie

I was thinking of painting my rear brake calipers, but then a friend wondered if they would get too hot and burn the paint off. So is it safe to apply your standard spray paint to them if they are masked off properly?
    Also, what color? My truck is dark blue. I was thinking either red or dark blue to match the truck so it would be more subtle. Any thoughts?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

they make caliper paint in different colors I used the blue they had to match my burban. when I did the calipers for the willy's I used high heat engine paint.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've always painted mine with whatever is around. Never gotten them that hot. Can't see you having any probs. Especially if you use engine enamel or something like that. Tape off them ports real good. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I painted my 11.99 calipers from autozone with ordinary rattle can red primer,but a week too late--the cosmoline washed off and they were already rusted! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifShoulda done it when I put them on /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif--If I had money I'd have used barbeque high temp paint,or engine enamel,but the primer seems to handle the heat ok so far--. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Better than nothing--gee--you'd think for 11.99 they could at least paint them,huh! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used VHT I picked up a can at AutoZone for like 8 bucks a can and that stuff is grrreat!! You can also get it off the internet at there website. Good Luck

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I got a can of something called "Brake Caliper Paint" from an auto parts store and used it on my car. That stuff has stayed on for years now. It sure looks better than rusty calipers. All you have to do is clean them up decent and spray them. The paint doesn't require any primer.