Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting chains?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WhiteBurb, Jan 2, 2007.

1. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Okay, I'm almost positive this is going to be a dumb question. But I want to paint my chains and such a nice bright color so I can stop losing them in the brush and mud. But my question is this, if a link starts develops a crack, do you think the paint will hide it?
    I just want to be safe, maybe being dumb on the way there.:crazy:

Thanks

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have always painted the hook ends of my chains mainly for identification. Never had any crack problems to see if I notice I guess

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I paint the ends of mine too.
    The only chain I've damaged didn't have a crack, the link stretched and was narrower. It wouldn't move like the other links and was obvious. It wasn't on the painted part, but paint wouldn't have hid it.

4. mjnemmer

mjnemmer Registered Member

i dont know about u but i dont inspect my chain links close enugh to notice a crack. ill know its cracked just after it takes out the back window

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you boys still use chains.

straps i think are safer and easyer to handle and store.

if chains tho. paint the hooks.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Straps all the way. but i still carry chains for emergencies where i need more length or nothing to hook to.

I tried painting the entire chain, but it all got chipped off. Paint the ends orange or something thats bright, and youll be fine.

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

straps all the way

althought I have seen people use straps withs hooks on the end:doah:

also seen same mentioned strap put a hole in the hoor on a 05 tahoe:eek1: :haha:

that was a funny night..

8. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I mostly use my chains to pull trees around so I can cut them into firewood.

9. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah don't use chains for recover. Ask a freind and his broken FRONT windshield and cut head from getting drug out BACKWARD. Chain slingshotted around and come in the front window. I carry chains still for hold stuff or chaining axle to front for high lift jack operations and whatnot but straps with LOOP ends for recovery.

10. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

i use chains when it's appropirate, like a steady slow pull , or when i'm pulling something light, or when i'm lazy and don't feel like getting out the strap. that's really safe.:rolleyes:

my hooks came from the store painted bright blue.

maybe just dip the last 3 feet of each end in a bucket of red paint and let it dry?:D

11. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

I paint all my chains. I too use them for dragging fire wood and other stuff that would destroy a strap. The paint will not be perfect the 1st time you use it. I have never broke a chain by Just dragging stuff. I did one time try to snatch a truck out of a hole and the only thing i had was a chain. I heard a pop and 2 seconds later the chain slammed down on my hood. Busting the windshield denting the roof and pissing me off. 2001 chevy fullsize tow hooks break real easy. I was pulling him with my dodge truck from the reciever hitch on back. Now i always carry 2 towels I wet them down and tie one in the middle and the other close to the work being pulled. That way if chain breaks the chain falls to ground.