Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting Chrome products

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GotLabs, Nov 2, 2005.

1. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am somewhat new here, and have been getting a lot of useful information from yall. I have a 72 Jimmy ,I am trying to find out if anyone has painted there grilles and bumpers and how it turned out. thanks for the info

2. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i have painted chrome on a minitruck i used to own.

sanded it first with 80 grit, then followed up with 180.

then primed and painted like normal.
    it lasted till the day 10 years later that i parted the truck out.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Works fine. Just sand good and scuff it up. Duplicolor sells an adhesion promotor. Its a clear you can spray on before the paint. I used that the last time I painted chrome. Tho didnt notice much of a difference...

4. C5_CHICK

C5_CHICK Registered Member

i just got the k5

so havent done much to it other then repair things as they die on me... But Ive sprayed a few things on my car best stuff is the brake caliper paint, Ive done stuff under the hood and it just seems to bubble up on me from the heat. i then took those parts off and sent them out to be chromed.. costs alot more but well worth it in the end. oh I like your name btw I have 4 myself..

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Under hood stuff like valve covers and air cleaners will need the high heat paint, like 500 degree and up. The grille should be fine, doesnt get hot enough to need special paint. But go with some Krylon, Duplicolor, Rustoleum etc. Ive used cheap store brand crap from OSH, and ended up having to sand most of it off to get it smooth. :doah:

My K20 has a chrome front and a greyish rusty step bumper rear. Im not going for looks with this rust heap, just make it functional. When I get a winch I'll probly just go with a black powdercoat front. My cousin and I painted chrome bumpers with high heat engine enamel in a silver metal color when we built "Rat Rods" We just used the high heat cuz we liked the color and it was at Autozone.

6. 83suburbman

83suburbman Registered Member

If you can get use of a bead blaster that would work kick ass! and leave a perfect finish for the paint to stick to.

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thanks for the help.