Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting Chrome ***UPDATE ***

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by behemoth, Aug 4, 2002.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I have factory chrome mirrors. I want them black. I'm going to clean them up, shoot them
    with primer, then flat black. Any opinions out there regarding this? Anyone have any pitfalls
    I should watch out for?

*******UPDATE********

Just reinstalled the now-flat black mirrors. They look pretty good! The bumpers
    are the only chrome left now (well - door handles and trim strip down the side -
    haven't figured out how to deal with those yet). Door windows get tinted to 20%
    on Monday. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I sanded them initially with 80 grit sandpaper, then smoothed them out with 400
    grit wet/dry. I put two coats of primer on and two coats of flat black. After I get
    the window tint, I'll post a link to some pictures. The 4 inch lift will have to wait
    until spring (ack!), so it's cosmetic / comfort stuff for now (i.e. cheap mods). /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

Re: Painting Chrome

I think there is a prep solution you need to apply be fore painting. The reason is to etch the chrome enough to give the paint something to stick to. Otherwise sandblast it off..

3. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

You will need to prep the chrome in a manner that will let paint stick to it, otherwise the paint won't stay put. Sanding it with a course sand paper should work, but you must make sure that the chrome is roughed up pretty good, then clean it with a grease remover. Spray the primer, let it dry then sand it with about 320 sand paper, wipe down the surface with tack rag to remove the sanding dust. Then paint, you may need to do two coats to get a good finish.

Kirk

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I thought about rubbing them down with some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
    What kind of grease remover are you talking about? Can't I just use dishwashing
    liquid? Two coats of primer?

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hell id just get some other regualr ones and do it like the ones one my dads im not sure what they are..they are just painted steel i guess not the chrome ones..and then paint those..there are pics of them in my webshots..they are white..

Bryan

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

use some course steelwool it will cleen it and ruff it up for painting you can also use the fine stuff to cleen glass and chrome /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I figure $8-$10 in paint beats the 'ell outa $40 (+ shipping) from LMC.
    Now, if the temp outside ever drops below 95, I'll go out and start working on it. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

no problem /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Steel wool is good for cleaning chrome, but it won't scuff the chrome enough to get the paint to stick it. You'll be repainting them from time to time. Start with about 80 grit sandpaper, and work your way to 320. As for the degreaser some say the gas works, but I've always used DX330, it's a professional grade degreaser that most body men use. You might also want to put on two coats of primer, to help avoid rusting.

Kirk

10. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

80 grit?? Really? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I gotta put major ruts in it? 80 grit will damn near take the chrome
    off, won't it? Is DX330 something I can get at pepboys or similar? I was thinking
    about giving it two coats of primer anyway, just to be safe. Thanks! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

... see UPDATE at top .... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif