Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting door panels/trim

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by MTBLAZER89, Mar 13, 2006.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is this possible with good results? I was thinking if you sanded, cleaned, and prepped real good it might turn out ok. Is there some sort of plastic paint that would work good?

P.S. Anybody with a sub or crew cab with grey or blue wanna trade for maroon:wink1:

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

SEM colorcoat is one of the best products around for that stuff.. i use it all the time... just did my door panels the other day with it...

3. MTBLAZER89

That the stuff that LMC sells in the catalog? Can you get it anywhere else? can you use it on dash pad and arm rests things like that?

4. ryoken

its one of the best for vinyl too.. dashs, etc... not sure on lmc, don't have a catalog handy... any bodyshop supply shop will have it.. may even be in the rack at your local autoparts store...

5. MTBLAZER89

Cool thanks. Is it different stuff for vinyl, or is it all the same can? prep involved? Pics?

6. ryoken

the colorcoat is actually for vinyl, but works just as well on plastic...

hmmm, prep... cleanliness is of utmost importance... from years of armorall, etc,, interior pieces have an extreme tendency to fisheye..

you can go about it a couple ways... you don't really need to sand per say, but dulling down never hurts... alot of times what works well is scrubbing down the part with a scuff pad and really soapy water, rinse, let dry.. that'll dull and degrease at once.. i generally like to damp towel/ dry towel any part with denatured alcohol right prior to application.. paper towels work well..

i like to degrease twice, either the soap method, then denatured or denatured twice..

don't use thinner, acetone and such.. they'll soften or eat into vinyls and some plastics...

didn't do any door pics... they don't look that great, the plastic is hammered, and i need a new set. just did a quickie to change from tan temporarily..

this dash pad, tho cracked and needs replacing, got a quickie too, from dark brown to black...
    [​IMG]

7. MTBLAZER89

Sweet thanks for all the info.