Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting experts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Dec 3, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

If we have any perfesional painter or just anyone whos pretty good at it on this site could you please PM me I have a few quesions.

2. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

Re: Paining experts

Damn'it boy, ask the question already!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I'm a combination bodyman/painter. Whatcha need to know??

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

just post the question /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I'm an expert in Pain, what do you need to know! Busted Knuckles Rock! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

paining ? is that the giving or recieving of pain /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well hmm what the question how about you guys just my me a expert /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Well to start off what do you use to sand it down(what #grit) then why is there gray and black primer and why do some people do a few coats and some just do one (btw Im gonna neead a clear coat) where I can get the pain whos makes good paint and just general information Im after a BRIGHT RED kinnda like fire engine red or the red on the new chevrolet trucks(sees just barley ligh/orange) Ohh yea and its gotta be purdy im not sure if thats a question but any help is better than none so go at it

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use 400# before painting.......Gray primer is better for lighter colors (better hiding) and black is for darker colors!!! Lighter coats will DRY faster. I use PPG!!!
    [​IMG]

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Victory Red is the truck color but I really like the Torch Red which is on the vette's but that would probably have alot higher price tag does ppg or any other company make the same colors but with there name? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

generally how much paint do you need and how much is it cost wise?

9. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

If you are preparing for primer then you need to sand with 320 to 400 grit. As far as the number of coats it depends. I'll spray one dry coat and spray a another coat right after. this keeps it from getting fish eyes. Some people will just spray one wet coat. Basicaly spray just enought to get a full coverage and no more. The same goes for base and clear. Just becouse it has seven or eight coats of clear doesn't mean it's more durable. The thicker the paint the more likely it'll chip.
    You can get paint at any supply store. Some parts stores can order cheaper paint or you can find a supplyer. Sherwin Williams, PPG, Sikkens, Dupont, they are good paints. When you go they should have a color ship book and they can look up the Chevy color and mix it.
    Are you gonna do it yourself?

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well I was hoping to do all the perp work my self
    and posssibly paint it my self. I was talking to some other people at school(high shcool)and one said his dad was painting his for him and all he had to pay was $60 for the paint and another kid who his dads a professional said around $1200 so Im trying to figure this all out

11. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

If you do it yourself then figure $400 to $600 for paint and materials.
    Have you ever sprayed anything? I'm guessing the guy who'd do it for 1200 is just spraying? Is he doing any prep work? 1200 is pretty fair if all he does is spray and buff and pays for the paint.

12. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i use the Dupont imron 5000 or the 6000..the 6000 is a 2 part paint...base and clear coat...the 5000 is tough as hell...dosent scratch easily..(except on my truck because i had the bright idea to clear coat over the top) we use the 5000 on all the trailer we build...they take a beating and still look decent years later...gota figure gettin chains, binders and heavy equipment ran over it day in and day out will take its toll on any kinda of paint...but we have found that is the one that holds up the best longer...just my .02

13. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Spraying the paint is the easy part. The prep work is where the "finished result" comes from. Take your time, sand, sand, sand some more, until the panel is silky smooth. Light colored primer is for light colored paint and vice versa for dark colors. If you are gonna be cheap.......don't. Buy the best primer and paint that you can afford. Once again ....take your time. I have painted several vehicles and they get better each time. I dig my flames the most. They took about 4 hours to lay out, but they look sweet. Base color is PPG Passion Red Mica and the flames are blue pearl with gold and silver tips.
    [​IMG]

14. JK5

And WE can't FORGET......Using the Right spray gun......air cap/fluid tip/needle.....

15. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Speaking of paint, how much paint is needed to do a quality job on a K5?

16. JK5

Well...it depends on the Paint that you are using.....

Enamel.... a Gallon

Urathane single stage..... a Gallon

Urathane 2 stage......3 quarts of color (it depends on the color)......a gallon of clear.....

That should give you a general idea!!

17. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I've been looking into this for a while and I was interested in possably doing away with the clear coat althoght I would like my truck to look nice I also want to wheel like crazy when Its done so I wanted to no what you think about no clear coat and how nice can it still look, I now this was oviously offered I JUST CANT THINK /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif of how well it will hold up .

also how much paint including the inside ?

also like the idea of mayco, for 300.00 bucks I could wheel like a mad man and just repaint the sucker every year /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info first off
    But I have 2 more question is GM(corvette) paint good paint? and about how much does these others cost?