Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting Grille?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kp texan, Nov 14, 2005.

1. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about repainting the grille and headlight bezels on my '88 K5 and, after doing a couple searches, I've found that the best spray paint for the matte silver areas is called Plasti-Kote Steel Wheels #618. My only issue now is what to do for the painted center section of the grille. My original color is Woodlands Brown metallic but I was wondering what it would look like if I just painted it a gloss or matte black. Have any of you guys done this? The closest color I've been able to find at Auto Zone is Duplicolor Cordova Brown metallic but I think it may be a little dark. Or, do you think since that section doesnt actually touch the paint on the body that it would really be hard to tell the difference? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

-Wes

2. natehate

natehate Registered Member

i vote black

3. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

i say do all black

[​IMG]

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i did mine in a semi-gloss black,,,not flat and dull, but also not super show car shiny either,,,looked good, until i replaced it anyways. :p:

5. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I had mine sprayed in Line-X black.Mine was cracked up pretty good and now it looks better than new.

6. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I went all black, but if you don't want to paint the chrome, it would look good too. I would use rustoleum "hammered" and roll it on (You'll need a brush for the tight spots) but it will give a good even finish with a couple of coats. I love that stuff. I painted my grille and my top with it. Soon to paint my bumpers and mirrors too. (Anti-Chrome :laugh: )
    [​IMG]

7. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

All those pics of black grilles has kinda got me thinkin.... I just may decide to do it that way. Thanks for the replies.

-Wes