Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting Hard Top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Aug 5, 2001.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I'm preparing to paint the Fiberglass top of the Blazer. Any suggestions?

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you have it good and clean, and use a good primer/sealer.

Friggin Silt![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

A few months ago there was a long thread on here about this. I remember one thing was to make sure you kill the mold that grows in the fiberglass (dark spots). One person had a suggestion of a good primer to use but I don't remember what it was. Are you gonna spray it or roll it?

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If you're sanding it first, wear a good mask, do it outdoors, and use lots of water! I'm currently doing the same thing, and forgot to wear a mask one night. It may be completely psychological, but I swear every breath I took afterwards smelled like fiberglass (it was kind of like wheat), and actually felt heavy.

I had heard there was a special paint you're supposed to use that'll last longer if painting directly on fiberglass. I don't remember what it is, but I heard it here I think. I'm just planning on spraying it with a couple cans of this high gloss stuff that my dad had in his garage...

Ratch
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com&gt;k5.8m.com&lt;/a&gt;
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I just got done painting my whole blazer (Easter j**p Safari was not kind to me this year). I went to Wal-Mart and bought a quart of "DUPLI-COLOR" brand bed liner. I then roughed up the top with some 150 grit paper. It took about a quart of primer (the fiberglass really sucks the primer in) Next I sprayed the bed liner on with a regular paint gun. When it was dry, I set it out in the sun for 3 days to let it dry and bake. When the top was dry, I sprayed the top gunmetal grey, clearcoated it and .............WOW. The texture is perfect. It looks better than it ever did.

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sounds pretty cool. Got some pics??

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

The duplicolor stuff works pretty well huh? I bought it and have turned out to like it alot. Some people call it dupli-crap... guess depends on how you prime it and spread it out because to get it off my rocker panels I had to use a drill and a sander disc and it took forever! I'm did my inside back with it and plan to do my hard top... what did you use to sand that down? Just the 150 grit by hand, or did you use a sander or anything? Thanks! [​IMG]

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

8. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I just used the 150 to knock the old texture off. I hand sanded it. I started to use a D/A, but decided to hand sand so I didn't take too much off. One more thing....after I sprayed the liner on the top. I took a hose and a stiff brush (not a wire brush) and washed/scrubbed the dust and resuidue off the top.

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

9. DuneRunner

I'm going to end up spraying it.
    What I have done over the past week is filled the little seems on the upper portion of the top with Bondo. I plan to paint it tan, so what color should I use to primer it? white or gray? And should I buy Krylon or really good primer from the auto paint store?
    Thanks everyone KeN

10. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

I know this may sound really corny but I painted my top a couple of years ago and I used ( are you ready for this ) regular house latex paint semi-gloss! It goes on real thick, dosen't sctratch or peel or chip or fade. I used a roller and it came out textured just like factory. It's inexpensive and only takes about a gallon or so. I now it sounds goofy but it sure did come out nice. If you want to see pics of it I can send then to you. Good luck

Oh yeah you can have the paint mixed to any color you want!

11. DuneRunner

Ya could you send me some pics. Go ahead try my email. I'm not sure if it will allow me to see them. If not I'll get you another address.
    KeN

12. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

Will do later today then

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

I used rustoleum that comes in the gallon jugs(not the spray paint) and used a small roller. it worked great and has been a year now with no pealing cracking or chalking. on thing i would say is use an oilbase paint.