Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting Headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just curious if anyone has had any luck with getting paint to stay on headers. I have a set of Heddmans that (naturally) burned the paint right off within 10 minutes of starting the truck up after installing them. This was a few years ago, and they're getting pretty rusty now, so I figured I'd pull them off, sandblast them and see if I can get some paint to stay on them. What kind of paint will stay on them, if anything? BBQ paint? Just that high temp stuff that you can get at the parts store? Would a powder coat burn right off of them? Ceramic coating is not an option, these are cheapy headers, eventually I'll get some Thorleys and have them coated, but right now all of my money is going into the 1 ton buildup. I just want to make these look a little nicer and kill some time while I wait for the fundage to accumulate so I can place my order for lockers and gears. Thanks for any help.</font color>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used VHT flame proof paint I found at a speed shop. It's good to 1500 degrees and works awesome. I sprayed mine almost 2 years ago and they are still the same dull silver they were the day I painted them. I hate rusty looking headers...

The stuff was about $9 a can and I used 1 can per header, well worth it to me.

Rene

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I need some of that for my mufflers! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've heard of the "stove-black" paint that is used for those antique stoves and anything that requires a high-temp flat black paint. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to yank those suckers off of there and have them sandblasted this week, then paint them this weekend with whatever high temp paint I can find locally. Hopefully I can find some of the VHT stuff, I've heard good stuff about it elsewhere also. </font color>