Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting help

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by cegusman, May 10, 2005.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I bought 4 new white wagon wheels, going to paint them with Rustoleum Hammered Black. What kind of prep work do I need to do to get the paint to stay? They are originally powder coated.

2. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd sand the wheels with #320 and a red scuff pad...clean then paint.

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I just did this myself except that the paint was already rusted off of the wheels. I also used the hammered and learned a couple of things:

It seems to be a little tempermental to temperature and cure times. When I did mine I sanded them down and primed with a rustoleum automotive primer before painting. The hammered stuff did not dry very fast and I found that recoating it too soon, even a couple of hours on a cool day, resulted in a soft finish (I could still mark it with my fingernail a couple of days later). In addition I found it best to use the entire can in one sitting if possible, the finish did not look the same out of the same can the next day and pooled up really easily too. (could have been that I left it outside and it got down to 40?)

Anyway, long story short I liked the hammered, it just needs a little more attention than regular rattle can. Good Luck.

Oh yeah, painting my front hubs (not the actual hub but where the lock outs stick out) with it was a bitch! Especially since I put the new meats on alone and scuffed the hell out of the hubs and had to retape and repaint.