Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting help....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Aug 25, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'm going to be painting stuff in my house. My grandparents house is 50+ years old. The style is 50+ years old. The cabinets are in good shape but they were recovered in this wood laminate stuff. I was going to peel it off and refinish them but the glue is like mega glue and would take me forever to get it all off (not to mention it was made before they had laws about it and has lead or something in it) every cabinet. Can you paint laminate? I mean is there a primer that adheres to it and then I can paint it the color I want? I tried to ask Home Depot but they were slack jawed idiots. I am sure a smaller paint shop would know, but I hate to go in there and ask questions and then walk out when I won't be buying there. I have $100 gift card from Home Depot is why. Also what about painting tile? I was once told there was a paint you can use for it. It's has a bit of an elastic characteristic so it won't have brush marks. Is this right or am in search of something not real? I am simply not digging the lime green, yellow and sky blue tile around the house anymore....

One last thing. Wall paper. I have found some behind wood panels I moved. It's again 50+ years old. I cannot get it off. Is there a trick for older stuff. Steaming it off won't work and adhesive removers don't work either. It's like iron on there. Too bad it's butt ugly! Argh...

Thanks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Three words for ya, Wagner Power Painter.

Or better yet, get about 14 different colors, drop some acid, crank some Jimi Hendrix and see what you can come up with. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can paint laminate. Kilz makes a great primer. Low odor and sticks well. Would help to roughen up the laminate surface a bit. And wipe it down with TSP before priming. Home Depot has the primer and TSP.

You can also paint tile. The secret to tile is also the prep. There is a tile paint, and primer and an acid type prep thing, like muriatic acid (but it's not that) that ensures a good finish. I doubt home depot has this stuff but you could walk down the isle that has prep materials and see what's there.

Hmmm, wallpaper. There is a wallpaper remover, you can find at Home Depot. Almost like paint remover - you brush it on I think. You may need to do several coats. keeping it wet for a long time to get it to go thru the wallpaper. But no matter what you do, (steam, scrape, nuke) removing it's a PITA. So take your time, play some good tunes and be patient. Sounds like you're not giving the remover time enough or enough coats to work. Or it really is cement. Could always take down the wall and re-drywall it. Probably take less time that way if it's as bad as you say.

When in doubt. take out the sledgehammer. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I honestly think this wallpaper is on there for good. It's like become one with the wall being there for so long. I have tried everything and nothing works! Only reason I have yet to not take out the wall and redo is asbestos. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I am using Killz on the rest of the house, great stuff. Just didn't know it'd work for the cabinets. Cool! I'll look to see what Home Depot has, but I know they suck for help. I just wanted to know what to look for. If I know what I want I can find it without having to talk to a orange apron retard.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

DIY (Do It Yourself TV) did a show on painting paneling not too long ago. They basically said what skigirl just said. They'll have tips on it on their website. I just went there, and they had a lot of info. on wallpaper removal, complete with pics and instructions. I tried to post the link, but it wouldn't work. Anyway, go to http://diynet.com and type wallpaper in the search window. It will take you to a list of options about wallpaper, and one of the options is "removal." Good Luck. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif