Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting in cold temps

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by dontoe, Mar 10, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does it hurt anything to paint when the temperature is say in the 50s?:confused:

2. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

if you want it to set right just follow the directions on the can, I always paint 70 degrees or higher cold paint just clots up and looks crappy

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it'll take much longer to dry and it'll run easier... but generally, no real adverse effects... throw a heatlamp to it after you spray...

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Keep the spray paint in the house so that the cans are nice and warm....

Then at least it will spray cleanly and lay down well. My spraypaints are all sitting at about 10 degrees (F) right now, so I am pretty sure they're all ruined... :frown1:

5. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

depends on the brand. I have been using dupont paint for my thunderbird. I started on a saturday morninglast fall at 65 degrees. The interior was done in about two hours and came out nice and smooth. when I started the trunk and exterior later in the day the temp had dropped to 56. The side of the car was also out of the direct sunlight for most of the day. The paint just bubbled on contact with the metal. I have had that problem many times before with rattle cans and cold metal. At $100/unmixed quart I decided my bird can stay in the nest till spring.

I am far from an expert painter, but I was using low temp hardner/reducer a top end paint on clean sanded starlight primer. I have excelent results with the same combo in the past I had to assume it was the temperature.

6. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Like posted above, keep the cans warm and try to heat up the metal before using. I made a make shift paint booth with heaters tarps and a blow dryer worked well for spray painting in the snow. Check my webshots for the tent........oh and be careful of the fumes if you go this route.

Jesse

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I've done it in the garage. I put a halogen lamp on the part to be painted for a while (those cheap 400W work lights) and before painting I soak the rattle cans in a bucket of hot water.

Ventilation is another issue...

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hehe, my old boss had a hotplate at work for those cold winter days.... ;)

we do that stuff at work.. crank the heat the whole night before.. turn off in the morn and paint a couple hrs later.. the substrate is all nice and toasty.. :D