Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

painting in the cold???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Feb 9, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok i am finally gonna refinish my bumper but i have a question....is it safe to spraypaint when its only like 30-35 degrees???

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

from my experiance paint does not do to well when its that cold . wait till it gets up to like 70 if you can. or use a heated shop.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, in my experience one of the problems is that you don't get good spray from a can at lower temperatures.

One thing I've done in a pinch (if the area to be painted is small enough and weather cooperates) is get a halogen work lamp, set the can and the work in front of it, until it all warms up. It doesn't take long with those lamps.

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not a good idea...

I've done it in a pinch...it pealed later.

5. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Good story here...bear with me. One evening my buddies n I decided to paint flames on his 57 Plymouth. Well by the time all the masking was done we were painting around midnight. Had all the spot lights on the car and he would run the motor to dry off the dew and warm the hood and fenders. While my buddy was spraying I was holding a halogen lamp and his brother was following with a couple hair dryers. I think we finished and removed all the masking around 5:30 AM, and he had to drive n be at work at 7AM. And this was during winter so it was in the 30's when we did all this. The paint lasted for a year till his fender got backed into and we sanded it all off. We even feathered from blue to purple over his white primer. All in all it looked pretty good for a first flame job while drinking beer in the middle of the night. :haha: :haha: :bow:

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

LOL...We need pics...:wink1:

7. trailblazr81

OK lets see if this works... http://photos.yahoo.com/trailblazr81
    The guy holding hair dryer is owner of the car (57 Plymouth) and his brother is painting. Im holding the Halogen and taking pics. And they are in no real order.

Nevermind the Poser Blazer pics... those have to be 10 years old. Back when I was in my prime!! :haha: :haha:

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I think most rattlecans say not to paint below 40°F.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I tried to paint my ORD arm one morning when it was about 40 out and the paint went on fine but about 5 min later it was all bunched up and wrinkly. And no I did not use krinkle paint.:D Dunno what happened but I prolly had to do with temp dif between metal, air and paint.

Ira

10. trailblazr81

Did you clean it real good? Could have been coated with something so it doesnt rust till after you get it. :D The only problems Ive encountered while painting in cold is getting runs.

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just warm the cans up... in front of a heatlamp, in a turned off, preheated oven to like 150, etc.... it also helps tremendously to preheat the substrate, some heatlamps on the rims....

in all actuality its the temp of the substrate that matters more than air temp... thats why most non-booth bodyshops will heat the heck outta the shop to get the sheetmetal on a car warm, then shut the heat off a 1/2 or so before spraying to let the dust settle....

when i paint cars at home here, i get it friggin cooking in the shop prior.. you can really notice, feel the difference in the sheetmetal...

12. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I just painted my gas tank brackets and straps and it was about ~30º, i brought the can inside the house and let it get warm and every once in a while go out and spray a coat. Seems like it'll be fine.

13. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

i've painted truck wheels with a brush when i could see my breath. the garage door was open and there was snow outside. tremclad is the best paint ever. :bow: that paint stayed on.

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I just painted mine, too. In my basement. :D

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya it was clean, I had primed it while it was warmer and had no problems but for some reason the color did not do that well:dunno: .

Ira

16. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

all i know is when we painted my oddesey in 30 degree weather is that the chevy oranged dried pinkish

17. ryoken

thats blushing...

and no, it wasn't embarassed... :wink1:

due to the cool moisture..

18. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

:haha:
    lol i wish it wolud of quit lol we had to start all over again :mad: lol

19. ryoken

just as a sidenote to this whole cold paint thread, a little history...

years ago in bodyshops it was not uncommon to see a hotplate in the shop... we would warm the uncatalyzed paint in the gun cup (just the cup) on the warming plate...

this does a couple things for ya, thins the paint naturally a little allowing for less reducers, aids in drying, helps prevent runs, and it tends to lay out smoother...

now go raid the kitchen!!! :haha:

20. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Try setting your cans inside over night, along with your parts to be painted (if your significant other will let you) i've had bumpers and everything in my house to warm them up. then take them out side and paint enough of the part that you can move it inside again to dry. it takes longer to paint a part but I have never had a problem. Also a refrigerator box with a portable space heater vented into the side of it to create a controlled environment. Your neighbors will think your crazy but it will work.