Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

painting INSIDE of hard top

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wuilfe, Aug 6, 2001.

1. wuilfe

wuilfe Registered Member

I see the recent post about the exterior of the hard top answered a lot of questions, and it seems a pretty straightforward job, but right now I'm trying to figure out how to paint the INTERIOR of the hard top.

My top has the standard pure white color on the interior (matches NOTHING on my black and camel color truck, and what sadist at Chevy decided to use pure white in an off-road vehicle: can you say DIRT-MAGNET?!) It's pretty filthy, and I'd like to paint it either black or beige, but every paint I've tested has just wiped right off without bonding. It's certainly not a paint-magnet. It's like the grafitti-proof paint they use in public bathrooms or subways. I'd like to avoid using regular spray-paint on such a large area. Does anyone have any experience painting the cap interiors? Am I going to have to strip the whole thing? I'm even thinking about maybe using a bed-liner coating. Do you think even this will stick? Any advice or experience?

Thanks, and Happy Trails.

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

The paint will stick. Prep work is 99% of painting. Do you smoke? Chances are good that if you don't, some did inside your blazer. Paint does not like to stick to Nicotine. Use a good quality cleaner like Simple Green, 409, etc. Use a scrub brush and wash the hell out of the top. When you are done, wipe the inside with prep-sol or reducer. Use a good single stage (no clear coat) paint and WALLA. You could use a rattle can if you want, but I am a firm beliver in "You get out what you put in."

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

I used rustoleum (not spray) in the gallon just lilke my outside and have had not problems just used a small roll just like the outside. I think they sell small can if you want to test it. I am by no means a body man i just used what was cheap and hoped it would hold up, and it did it's hard as a rock. Like the other post said prep work is the key clean it good and try wiping it down with acatone befor you paint. You also mentioned somthing about striping the top, how were you planning on doing this.

4. wuilfe

wuilfe Registered Member

Thanks. I'll try giving it a really good cleaning. I know for a fact that the previous owner smoked, so that could be part of the problem.

Beater74: As far as stripping, I hadn't thought of anything specifically. If necessary, I guess I would have thought of something, or maybe just posted another question here and let someone else figure it out for me ;-)

5. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Moabdad: What's "walla" mean? I've heard "voila" before in that context, but I didn't even know there was such a word as "walla" [​IMG][​IMG]

Just ribbin' ya

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

6. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

ROFLMAO Littlepig..............that is what I was going for but the spelling escaped me.....

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

wipe it down with TSP(trisodium phosphate) you ca get it at a wall paper store, then let it dry real well. this will get ALL the dirt off. now us a GOOD BRUSH ON PRIMER for porus materials. foll the direcxtions and then do the same with a choice of paint for that type of primer.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.