Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting Leaf springs, what paint to use? Please help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dasanii19, Dec 8, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

I figure while im going to be messing around with my brakes why not take off my leaf springs and kinda "restore" them.

Once I get the front leaf springs off are there any tricks or tips I should know about before dismantling them? I mean will they spring everywhere if I try to take them apart?

Should I sand them by hand or should I beed blast them? what grit sand paper do I use or what grit sand do I use in the sand blaster?

What type of primmer and paint do I use?

Should I get them re- arched?

To get the old busings out, do I use a torch? and how do I get the new ones in? hammer?

Are there any "kits" or anything I need to buy to do this project? Or is it pretty much- take them apart-sand them-primmer them-paint-re-assemble-install new bushings and thats it?

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Here is a link to the Technical Articles section. It regards a 52" spring swap but the beginning of the article describes a tear down and rebuild of your leaf spring packs.

http://coloradok5.com/52inchspringswap.shtml

One of the other guys here, B_to_C used industrial grade Rustoleum on his suspension parts and it worked great. A bit pricey though. Any engine enamel or epoxy base spray paint should work well enough.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have used Hammerite spray paints with very good results under my trucks. Looks good, lasts a long time, and stops rust.

4. basketcase

basketcase Registered Member

my paint preference is chassis saver from magnet paints, a little pricy, but stops rust and requires minimal prep. just knock off any loose rust with a wire brush and put on the paint.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I used regular old rustoleum auto primer and cheapo black paint on my springs in that 52" spring write-up... works for me... and its cheap.

j