Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting my 1 ton axles....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zx672, Apr 2, 2004.

1. zx672

zx672 Registered Member

Guys, just got my D60 and my 14 Bolt for my 84 K5. I purchased that little sandblasting kit so I got the axles ready for paint. What do you guys recommend to paint the axles with? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

If you have the money check out getting the powdercoated. They will last forever that way. If not rattle can em for easy touch up!
    Bill

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I used por-15 on my axles. Not sure if I would do it again cause it's kinda expencive but it should last a long time. Alot of people use Rustolium (sp) and seem to like it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i like rattle canning axles... especially if you have a sandblasting setup. Touch up is cheap as hell and easy to do and if you screw up your powder coating (its durable I know, but any finish can be screwed up) then you'll be bummed and have to get the thing re-done. I'd rather just spend 2 minutes rattle-canning the damaged spot and be done. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

2nd the powercoat

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

what would yall think a powdercoated axle would go for?

I plan on doing mine with mothien(sp) paint, its an industrail paint that wont fade bad at all and it looks super nice Ive seen cars painted with it and it looks good. Plus its like $60 a gallon and you can get a clear /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

If you can get it clear, I say clean that axle up really nice. Grind it down to bare metal, polish it up really good, and throw some clear on there for the ultimate in BLING! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Seriously though, that sounds like some good stuff. I would also suggest looking into implament (tractor) paint. Very tough as well, and probably a lot cheaper.

Kris

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

rattle can! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I would also suggest looking into implament (tractor) paint. Very tough as well, and probably a lot cheaper.

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]

What I used /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I use flat black rustoleom (sp). There is a shop in town here that will powder coat and sandblast an axle for $75. He can do custom colors for an extra $10 (including the new glow in the dark colors he claims). You will scrape an axle adn thus scrape the powder coat off. Go rattle can.
    my .02

11. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Somebody here just got some parts powder coated for I think $80.00 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Bill

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I owned a powdercoating company here in redding (sold it) but I bid 50.00 for a clean axle.. I would rattle can an off road truck.. powdercoat a daily driver... powdercoat is 35 times harder than paint but colorado owners are 40 times harder... but it does make a nice base even if it gets gouged..use black..its easy to match.. whatever you do
    cam

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Id just use some restoleum.

14. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

Rattle can them its cheap easy and fast to fix when you scrape them but if youre going to show it and not offroad them then go powdercoat.. It looks awesome but dosnt justify the cost in the long run for offroad use. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif