Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting? (NOT fine art)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Aug 29, 2001.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

How hard/expensive is it to get/put a presentable paint job on a K5? Just looking for some "This is how I did it" stories. Thanks, all,
    Tom

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

It all depends on the color. If you want to go black, a decent paint job with body work is about $5,000.00. But if go a lighter color like white or yellow, its about 2,500 to 3000. It also depends on the contition of the body. If the body is really straight, then it will be alot less. Most of the expense is the body work, and masking off everything. If you take them the blazer stripped then it would be less also. Take things off like door handles, locks, etc. By the way its hard to do it yourself, but with some practice they will turn out good. I painted my firebird 7 yrs ago. The paint has held up real well. The only place that it is faded is the top because it sat outside in the Arizona sun for 4 of the years. Check it out. Click on my vehicles and scroll down.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. Ron

Ron Registered Member

I have done a few completes and it is a time consuming job with alot of prep work. Your local paint store can help with advise if they are willing. The internet has procedures also. If you are willing to spend alot of time and prep the body right the painting is easy. You can wet sand and buff just about any fubar that gets in the paint. Good luck Ron

4. ArrowheadK5

Why is black more? by straight body you mean no rust?

5. DesertDueler

Straight body I mean no dents of very little, and no rust. Black is more because you have to do alot more body work to make sure every panel is perfectly smooth. If you dont you will notice every imperfection in it. When you look down the side of the truck it will look very wavey, not smooth if not done right. Most black paint jobs with a no rust and a few dents cost between 7,000 and 10,000 for a good one, with very little imperfections. It just depends on how clean you want it to look.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. ArrowheadK5

wow, no wonder the rust repair touch ups i do look so crappy! Thanks,
    Tom
    PS- I saw a 74 K10 yesterday with a paintjob that looked like it was a bedliner or some other thick protective paint. It wasn't too sharp, but I bet it will last forever! Have you ever heard of this?

7. DesertDueler

Alot of people are starting to use the spay in bedliner on their trucks out here in AZ. Here you got a lot of "desert pinstriping." All the bushes out here are dead and they scratch paint really bad. Also there is alot of rocks and tight spotts where sratching of dents are common. The sray in stuff hides dents a little bit, and doesnt scratch easy. And if it does you can touch it up, and no one can tell.

8. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy Registered Member

I stared out yeeears ago painting things with a spray can. My dad bought a spry outfit and I've been painting al sorts of projects from boats to sprint car panels. I'ts not all that difficult. I've sprayed my Blazer many times adding custom graphics which has saved me tons of money not having to go and have it done. Also, it's like getting a new look every 4 years.You learn from expereance, but with todays 2 stage paints, it's almost like shooting laquer. If you have a freind who has a spray outfit see if you can borrow it and try it out. I just pinted a 85 Dodge d50 lowered for my daughter (15 1/2) which will be her ride. I painted it 57 Chevy tropical tourquoise, with bright yellow/ white graphics, 4 coats of clear, color sanded ad buffed. Looks like glass. One of a kind.
    That's what's nice about painting it yourself!
    Like the Offspring song " You can do it"

Life is like a dash board.
    You can't enjoy the ride,
    if your always looking at the warning lights.