Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

painting ORD's Crossover Steering Parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MuddinManny, Dec 4, 2006.

1. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Y'all,

I have a question. I want to paint ORD's Crossover steering parts, i.e., lift block, steering arm, drag link, and the HD Tie Rod I bought. However, they are all smooth steel, not much for paint to bite into. Is there anything I need to do special to these parts, or can I go spray happy with the Rustoleum?

Thanks,

Manny

2. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

Funny you should ask this. As I just installed mine this weekend. I have first hand knowledge. If your gonna paint it, scuff up the parts with some 120 grit. But be forewarned you will scratch the paint putting the xcross over stuff on.

If I had to do again, I'd wait and paint after you get it all hooked up.

3. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Thank you very much! That's just what I needed to hear! Not only will I wait for it to be installed. I'll wait to get it back from the alignment shop! Cool beans!

Thanks!

Will a regular wire wheel work, like the type used for cleaning an axle, or does it need to be done by hand with the 120?

Manny

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

yep same thing happened to me:haha:

5. 88k5blazin

88k5blazin 1/2 ton status

when i put all my stuff on i just painted it just the way it came and have not had a problem with it chipping or peeling but i'm sure sanding it a little wouldn't hurt either

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

unless its a show rig you don't need to do any prep before paint. just wipe it clean. Brand new steel is the best surface to paint over. I painted mine in the truck only because I am impatient and couldn't wait to get it on the truck.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Just don't paint the bottom of the steering arms were they touch the knuckles, and that the top of the knuckles that touch the steering arm are not painted. You want a bare metal on metal contact surface with no paint, grease, lube, etc. Use brake cleaner to get them totally clean when you go to mount the steering arm.

Harley

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sand with 120, prime it with good auto primer... install everything... wipe it all down just in case it got some grease on the primer or something... and THEN rattle can paint it the color you want.

j

9. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Y'all,

Thanks so much. I hear everyone! This site is awesome! Y'all are helpin' me build my dream truck. Can't wait to show her off!

Manny

10. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Same with me. Just cleaned it, painted, installed. No problems. Just hit the 1.5" tierod with a fresh coat yesterday after 2 years of abuse.

You'll love it. My truck turns on a dime. Used to be I was breaking drivers side spring pack bolts, took a football field to do a U-turn. Now it turns a radius with 39.5's like my wife's 2WD Suburban.

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm gonna go a little different direction here....

for quickest, longest lasting results without getting crazy, I'd just put a few piss coats of zinc chromate on everything, then rattlecan to your hearts content... It's self-etching primer and will make the parts sooooo much more durable than just blasting em with paint.. 1 can'd probably do all your parts easy...

12. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

mine were painted blue and now orange in this rig. Originally I just painted the bare metal. This time to change color I ran over it with some emery cloth or something wiped the dust off and rattled. you can always touch up to

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009