Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting Plastic

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by jimmy1984, Apr 10, 2007.

1. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

i have some plastic panals that i want to repaint and i was just wondering what the best procedure would be for doing this they are already painted and i want to redo the paint because who ever painted them before didnt know what they were doing. any suggestions on procedure or type of paint to use?
    Any help would be much apriceated

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Obviously removing the existing paint should be the first step. Clean well. I've had LOTS of luck lately with both Krylon Fusion paints, and also Tremclad "Plastic Primer". The Fusion you just spray on the color coat, but theres only so many colors to choose from. Tremclad Plastic Primer is just what it sounds like, primer for plastic. Shoot, let dry, then shoot with any color paint you wish.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

SEM Colorcoat... designed for that stuff, works awesome... Sprayable vinyl dye also does a real good job, but isn't nearly as simple..

strip the old paint off... wet scuff pad the item thoroughly... wash the part down a couple times with hot, soapy water, very important, interior pieces love to fisheye from years of Armor All-ing...

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe Krylon also makes a plastic primer, I got mine from Lowe's and did some hub caps, worked great! Goes on clear and you can use whatever color you want. But Ryoken seems to be the resident paint guy so I wouldn't question his authority either. :waytogo:

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What kind of wear are you getting from the painted surfaces? I know a couple people that have painted door panels, etc., but the paint seems to wear off pretty quick. I've gotta paint my Tuffy console (or sell/trade it) and I'm a little nervous that the padded vinyl won't look good very long with use.

6. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

allright thanks guys i will probably go way of krylon fusion

7. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I've been avoiding painting any kind of "high traffic" plastic. I just don't see ANY paint lasting.