Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting the dash? WTF????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Can you paint the dash in your rig? the local idiot was telling me that you can paint the dash, and it will look good. This may be possible, but since it the person who told me this has a reputation as being just plain stupid, i took the tip with a grain of salt. My current dash is brown, an i want to paint it grey, reckon it will work? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i know you can strip them and dye them but i dont know about paint...

Later

3. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

this has got to be one of the most active forums, either that or there are alot of people like me who cant sleep right now. 2 minutes after i post, iv'e got a reply an 6 views. This place is great /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

aint it though...i meant to add to my last post...check with an uphosltery/interior shop and see what they can do...thats who dyed mine for me

Later

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Dyed mine with vinyl dye without stripping the old finish off. Worked fine. Check into SEM vinyl dye. I couldn't seem to find it on the timetable I set up, so went with some cheapo stuff, but the color turned out exactly like what I wanted and so far has held up very well. SEM has a vinyl prep that I would recommend using.

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You can paint them.. Auto part stores sell the paint. Mine was cracked.. I bought a good used one that was grey from a fellow CK5er and painted it blue. It is over a year old now and still looks good..Dan

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I bought and ised vinyl paint, black over blue. Worked great and lasted too.

Ken H.

8. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I painted the vinal dash pad and plastic door panels on a '70 challenger once. It worked pretty well. You just got to make sure that you have a very clean]/b] surface before you paint it. The hard plastic stuff requires a plastic primer first. High use areas may need a touch up everyonce in a while but it works good if your not going for show quality.

9. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I painted the vinal dash pad and plastic door panels on a '70 challenger once. It worked pretty well. You just got to make sure that you have a very clean surface before you paint it. The hard plastic stuff requires a plastic primer first. High use areas may need a touch up everyonce in a while but it works good if your not going for show quality.

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I painted the Bezel the gray color as my side panels are OEM gray.

I bleieve you can dye the Vinyl darker, but not lighter.

Good luck.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Cleaned mine with denatured alcohol and painted it Krylon Kakie. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Held up fine for 3 years except where my suction cup phone holder rubs on it.
    [​IMG]

12. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

That looks like a GREAT Paint job!

I will have to try this too!

13. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

That looks GOOD!!!! I guess it does work /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Did a lot better than I thought it would. Did the door pannles also. The truck was blue when I gotit. The dash has done great but the door pannels around the lock has pealed. I don't think I got them clean enough. Thats a spot where hands come in contact often and I think there was some oils and crud there. The arm rest have held up good also so go figure. The dash is a vinyl as are the arm rests. The door pannels are a plastic, probably a polyproplene.
    Polyproplene plastics (same stuff they make 2 liter coke bottles out of) are darn hard to get stuff to stick to it. I use to do specialized printing on stuff like cups/mugs. The polyproplenes we had to flame treat to get the inks to adhear. Something about that plastic give off a slight oil of some sort and Flame or plasma treatment was the only way to get it off. It basicly burned it off.