Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting the Hardtop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Josh, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Josh

Josh Registered Member

How would you all recommend prepping the hardtop for paint. Usually you would do some sanding and such but this will rub off the texture on the top. Any suggestions??

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The top itself is not textured, its the type of paint used on it. If you still want that texture you will have to get that type of paint(sorry I don't know what its called). I just had it painted smooth, i like it better because the towl doesn't snag when you clean it and it is shinier also.

Brian
    84k5

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

So we can use the same paint on the body as on the top. I have no idea when it comes to paint, Im the guy always stuck doing the prep and primering. Not the fun stuff, but no runs for me to worry about and the final look is based all on the prep.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I don't see why not, but you may want to confirm that before you try since the top is fiberglass and the body is steel.

Brian
    84k5

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I painted mine a little while ago, and what I used was semi-gloss black. I think that it looks good if it is sort of shiny, but I don't like the really shiny ones, so thats why i used it.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

6. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

My top was not in the best of shape when i decided to do mine, most of the texture was gone already and there was fiberglass threads showing in spots. I used a sander with 80 grit on it. i did not spend all day on it i just smoothed out the rough spots and hit the rest lightly. I then just used a house primer called Kiltz for exterrior (sp?) and rolled it on. It took three coats but the stuff dries quick and levels out great. People think i had it sprayed. I think this summer when the top comes off ill hit it with some ext. semi gloss house paint. The kiltz dries to flat fo my taste.

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

7. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

This was the subject of a long thread 1-2 years ago. Might try a search on it.

The top is smooth fiberglass with a textured paint. The gist of the old post was lots of guys using Bed Liner Products to paint the tops. It gives the textured look of stock but depending on brand (e.g. Rhino) you're limited on colors.

Mine's losing some paint in areas & I'll eventually recoat with the old "off-white" if I happen to find it in a bed-liner material. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

8. ROCKBUGGYK5

ROCKBUGGYK5 1/2 ton status

herculine it, thats what i did has great tecture and real tuff, sticks to fiberglass real well

ROCKBUGGY K5 38S LOCKED AND CHOPPED

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My truck is dark blue...I had the top painted to match mostly since ya don't see this look very often...I have a second top that I will have done in the original Flat White texture just so I can change the look when I get tired of one or the other...JD

89 Jimmy headers built 700R Auburns Molys 4:10 4" 10B/12B Con-ferrs 10" Rallies 33" BFG Muds Alpine/Fosgate

10. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

Check your local NAPA store that has paint supply/mixing facilities. They can get you a texture type item in spray cans. Spray this on before you paint top, this will give the texture you want. Remember prep work does count.!!!!

11. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Did Mine this summer with Semi Gloss White. Definantly use a roller. I tried spray paint but it looked patchy. I had to use a roller but it came out great.

12. Josh

Josh Registered Member

Hey guys thanks for the info.

13. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

be careful of the white spray on bed liners ive been told by a coupleof different companys that they fade to a yellow pretty quick

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

14. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

One thing about working with fiberglass. If you get into the strands, wear long sleeves, gloves, facemask, etc. The sanding residue contains small bits of fiberglass that will get into your skin and itch like a SOB. Other than that when you sand it smooth, use a good sealer to seal up the fiberglass prior to priming. Then sand the sealer to rough it up, then prime and paint like you would the rest of the body. Don't try to cut corners and use a primer/sealer. Fiberglass that is exposed (gelcoat erroded like you said yours is) will absorb moisture, dirt and such. Clean it good, let it dry, and then seal it prior to priming. The top takes about a quart to cover completely (79 style top). Prime it and then use a two part glazing compound to hide the imperfections in it (erroded areas) then sand smooth. If they are really big areas or they are deep, clean them and use body filler and sand them prior to sealing. I would use 180 to 220 for the initial sanding, 320 after the sealing, and then 360 prior to the first coat of finish paint and 400 from then on out. If you get the wet or dry paper with the "P" prefix, go up one grit size to equal the standard grit size, example P400 is equal to 360 grit. My .02 worth.

15. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

here is how i did mine sand the whole thing smooth then spray a coat of rocker shcutz bake it let it cure over knight than spray with collour two or three coats than clear to thikness desired the more clear the smoother the finish mine looks textured from far but is waxable and does not snag on rags make sure you use a spray gun thats used for rocker schutz andnot a normal spray gun

16. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

I had mine painted by a buddy back in May 2000, back to original color. I had the body work done and just wanted it back to the same look as new. Anyway, the guy who painted it just had me use ine of those GREEN PADS.. the ones you wash -scrub with. Since then the 4x4ing, hot, cold and potholes here have not cracked or faded it. Good Luck.