Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

painting the Interior trim

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Feb 17, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    Instead of buying hunderds of $$$ worth of Interior trim. I am thinking about buying that spray paint that you can use on your trim. See I am going for an all black Interior and the stock trim is a tan color.
    GIVE ME TIPS, please
    Thanks
    Adam

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

SEM is the brand name for interior dye (it's sprayed from a spraycan) that is supposedly the OEM-type stuff.

I'm sure places like Eastwood company carry it. I know for a fact that BobK used it when refinishing his center console in his 1st Gen and the result were really nice. If you want to do a little searching, he had a decent size photo gallery of the restoration in the 1st Gen Forum.

The paint is somewhat pricey, but it's still a low-cost way to freshen up all the vinyl interior parts, and is way cheaper than replacing everything with new.

3. adamforsythe

Hello,
    Thanks I will do some looking.
    Thanks
    Adam

4. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

I actually went to walmart and bought interior paint. Cleaned trim very well then did 3 or 4 light coats and it turned out great....btw i used white.:)

5. adamforsythe

Do you clean the sand the clean then paint. OR do you clean, paint, DONE?
    Thanks
    Adam

6. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

My interior on the sides and roof were perfect...so I didn't need to sand.But the door panels and dash were so bad I just replaced them

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

S E M works good..

I used to mix the S.E.M. paint at the parts/body shop supply stores I worked at--its good stuff,its more like dye than paint--it will flake off if the surface isnt prepped right,more so on hard plastic panels then seats or vinyl,but for the most part its permanent-(follow the instructions,they used to tell you to wash the plastic panels with laquer thinner)-Mar-Hyde is another popular brand--I think I've seen spray cans of Mar-Hyde at Pep Boys before...A local auto parts/paint supply store should carry the S.E.M. stuff,I think the smallest amount you can get is a quart(in liquid form)....:crazy:

8. g_mo

g_mo 1/2 ton status

i used krylon fusion. worked real good. make sure the parts you paint are prepped really well. you need something that will clean the part really well as most interior plastic pieces have probably been armor-alled many times over the years. that will definitely affect how well the paint sticks. i would recommend the krylon fusion if you can find a color to your liking. i sprayed a plastic bucket with it to see how it works, then scraped it off. seemed to absorb into the plastic, instead of laying on top of it.

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Alot of the trim on these trucks is just plastic. Just paint with a good quality regular paint. Kick panels, door panels, center console, I've just painted mine with hardware store spray can paint and they've been great.
    Only things that need special dye/paint in the dash/armrests/door pockets/sunvisors.
    Cleaning is the most important part though.

10. adamforsythe

Hello,
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Thank you
    Adam