Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting the Yellow Bastard... ( plus other progress reports)

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

allright, I've been doing a lot of work on fixing up the yellow bastard ( 77 C20 trailering special sub. 454/400) mainly on the exhaust manifolds to quiet a rather loud set of exhaust leaks, that sound more like rod knocks, or pistons slamming into the heads. I've finaly modified the manifolds to the point they fit the heads properly ( head bolts were too tall for my `new' manifolds I put on to replace some old dilapidated and broken manifolds) now I just need to put new gaskets in and silence the damn thing.

yesterday, I welded a patch, and stiffening plate into the passenger side door where the mirror used to be ( previous owner tore it off in a drive thru, and I finaly got around to fixing it 3 years later) patched some holes in the exhaust pipes, and finished `Adjusting' the front fender openings with a few* light** taps using a Small*** hammer, so they no longer cut at the 33's I have wedged under this thing. tonite I replace the transmission mount that I've once again broken, with a performance suspension `saftey interlock' tranny mount ( it better be, or I'm going to kill someone) and if I can find some thread repair compound, I'll repair the stripped out exhaust manifold bolt hole.

next phase: paint. I purchased a couple of those rotary paint remover discs from autozone, and plan to tear the paint off of the beast, in preperation to paint the damn thing a better color than assskin yellow. ( buckskin is what the card says, but I think it looks like a$$) dunno exactly what I'm going to paint it yet, but one things for sure: Primer grey is a timeless color, especialy on anything that has 380+ HP under the hood. might go with urban camo, so I can camoflage the dents that're in this sutpid thing, and so as to better hide it in parking lots.

-Ddragggon

*Several
    **Heavy
    ***Sledge

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Like the footnotes....

Show pics of that urban camo job. I have thought about a fully herculined beast - should add at least 400 lbs.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Ya, let's see some pics! What are the specs on that 454? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Richard

I am doing a little rust repair in the doorjambs of my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif (small, coin sized surface pitting caused by seal/weatherstripping failure). I had a buddy check out my work, and he advised me to get some paint on it ASAP as in his opinion primer lets moisture through the coat and doesnt act as a sealer.

I was using a RustOleum rattle can primer rust sealer, so it might have had more to it than traditional grey primer. But, just to be safe, I added a layer of RustOleum enamel in a dark brown that's pretty close to my base color (Indian Sienna - AKA Metalic Turd). Granted, this isnt the kind of material fit for a restoration, but to keep Oregon from taking more of my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif this winter, I figured it would do until more restoration was warranted.

Just wanted to share this little tidbit (I dont know much about bodywork) in the event it might save you some trouble down the road.

Ben

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

yeah, I know primer isn't a sealer, and in some cases, with the wrong types will act more like a sponge, and absorb water. havn't started pulling more paint off yet, and still have bare steel hanging out on the drivers side fender, and its still rust free. need to prime/paint it before it does start flash rusting, or it rains, or we get dew at night or anything like that.

the 454 on paper, and through desktop dyno/engine analyzer, puts out an average of 380 HP, and 490 Ft/Lbs torque. (desktop dyno said I put out 340 HP, and 585 Ft/lbs torque, engine analyzer said I put out 430 HP, and 450 Ft/lbs... kinda averaged, and smeared them to more reasonably lower numbers... unless I'm bragging, in which case the damn thing has 400 HP, and 540 Ft/lbs. ) I've never run it on a dyno, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

replaced my spark plug wires, and filled in a rather large hole in my throttle... I think replaceing the dilapidated sparkplugs should fill in most of the remaining hole, although I think carbureator tweaks are my only hope for the remainder. need to get new motor mounts so the damn thing stops flopping around hte enigine bay like a slightly tethered dead fish. anyone ever used the Energy suspension engine mount inserts they sell at autozone? you pull your shell apart, dump out the old rubber, and inser thier new poly whatever mount into the frame, and install it under the truck. considering going that route, except they're $26 apiece... although if they're as durable as they claim, I'll never have to replace them again.

time to go see if the spray on aircraft stripper is as good as the paint on crap...

-Ddragggon

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

well, I replaced the spark pugs, and gapped them clear out to .060, and lemme tell yas: that damn thing runs smooth as glass, even down at 400 RPM idle. I'm surprised the stock instructions for my HEI ignition system call for a sparkplug gap of only .045 or .035 (one of those... too small tho) considering my brother's 83 buick calls for a .085 spark gap on the same HEI unit as I'm using.

we'll see how this affects gas mileage. I know it might affect the ability of my engine to fire at speeds of over 4500 RPM, but I've never spun the damn thing that high under load. ( it'll hit 4000RPM in first, and shift to second at about 45 MPH)I don't think I could make it spin that high under load, as I'd have to be doing well over 100 MPH for that to happen... :-P

also, decided Black Flat Primer is the wave of the future. I may cover it over with either Flat Black Paint, or Satin Finish black Paint. hell, might even give the urban camo a shot on one of the fenders to see if it hits the right buttons...

Peace out,

-Ddragggon