Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting Tips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by axiomaticdesigns, Dec 9, 2005.

1. axiomaticdesigns

axiomaticdesigns Registered Member

I have searched on line and found a few helpful articles on painting my own truck. Has anybody painted their own vehicle? What problems did you run into? Any help or tips would be appreciated.

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Basically it depends on the quality of job you want. Dry air is a must, along with sufficient volume. A clean booth area is quite desireable too. Practice a few panels before painting, and maybe do more research on home painting.

3. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I painted mine. I went with a base coat / clear coat because I was told it was easier to correct mistakes.

I think I have a pretty good paint job for my first attempt. Just as was said earlier, practice on test panels. the different layers will flow differently. Epoxy primer will flow differently vs high build vs paint vs clear.

I put up clear plastic in my garage to make a cheap spray booth and it worked great. It is more difficult to move around in but it does work. Keeps the overspray from dusting everything too.

Good Luck,

Scott

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

ensure ure air is clean and dry and oil free!! run it thru a filter. clean paint area is nice. i used to wash the garage floor with a hose before i painted.

5. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

put a box fan in your garage doorway so that it will draw outward, and close off around it with plastic.

clean the truck and shop. don't skimp at all.

try to move as little as possible so not to stir any dust you may have missed.

paint the roof, then the hood, then the rest; you don't want to drag your hose across fresh paint.