Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nash69, May 15, 2002.

1. nash69

nash69 Registered Member

Hey, maye you peeps can give me some info. My hardtop is now black. I am in the process of getting the truck painted bright orange to match my chevelle. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i want to paint the top white. white primer and paint should i use. i read a post saying regular krylon flat paint is fine. Ive been told by others it needs to be marine grade fiberglass primer and paint. any ideas as to what is the right way to do it? thanks

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I just used Krylon flat black on mine. Clean it really well first.

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i used rustoleum but not the spray kind in comes in one gallon cans i think it's called hard hat or somthing like that. all i used to aplly it with was a small foam roller. if you still have the texture on yer roof you wont notice a think using the roller. and yeh i know this sounds like a very "neck" way of doing this but it looks great and it has been on there for 2 years with not flaking od cracking.

4. nash69

nash69 Registered Member

Yeah, i was gonna roll it on since the texture is still there. did you guys use any primer. im gonna haveta since im going from black to white.

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

This thought just came to me, as I am thinking of painting my top now, since it is off the truck. What about Herculiner?

John

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine in town painted his with herculiner. I't looks pretty cool and has been on for a year now. It fades a bit and I immagine it is kinda hard to clean. He also painted his bumpers, grille, and, visor with it.

7. nash69

nash69 Registered Member

already thoguth of that but herculiner doesnt have white. plus the colored shiot is 40 bucks more. eastwood has a tinable liner but its also like 140 bucks. paint is MUCH cheaper.

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

hey nash, na i didn't use any primer and i actually sanded my top befor i painted it cause it had some large scrapes and chips so i used the roller to try to get some texture back but it still turned out very smooth. if yer gonna go my route the paint was by rustoleum hard hat i think and it was in some sort of gray can. oh and i don't think some primer wouldn't hurt.