Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Painting Vinyl

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Jul 29, 2001.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Since Jim gave me that wonderful dash pad, I need to know what you all would use to paint it. it's blue, and going to end up black.. there is a small crack which I also need to fix. One more question.. I'm thinking of cutting out the speaker vents, and using the speaker covers in place, anyone done this, pain in the butt or ?? any ideas... thanks!!!

one more question..
    anyone have/had the speaker bar that runs behind your head where the interior light is? likes, dislikes, worth the money? My brother has a yeep with it, and he likes it, but I dont have a soft top... wondering if its going to give some headaches or not..
    thanks guys!!!!

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Go to any body shop supply store and get the stuff to paint it there. Do not use lacquer thinner on it to clean it. I use Marhide (sp) products when I do them. Use thin coats to paint it because if it is to thick it will crack and peel. As far as your other ?'s I have no idea.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im not to sure about the dash, but Ive seen people paint the interior panels with so called intereior paint and it just peels off. Also it scatches and looks sh!tty. With the dash being a porous surface, you could probably dye it. I know there is a dye for doi9ng this, but I dont know where to find it.

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Wayne is right I painted mine with Marhide over 4 years ago and it still looks just fine. Any auto body paint shop will have it.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

5. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

I called a local auto upolstry shop. They told me they use a product called SEMs flexible color coat. This stuff will work on flexible and rigid plastics, carpet, vinyl &amp; velour. You need to wash everything real good with soap and water! Then spray it with SEMs plastic prep (#38353) and wipe it down real good this will help promot adhesion to the surface. Now your ready to spray it with the flexible coating. You don't need to use much one coat should do it. I covered my sun visors, dash, instrument pannel, and kick pannels. I did this two months ago and have had the top off ever since. I thought for sure the AZ sun and summer monsoons would ruin all my work but it still looks great. Cleaned it up with STP protectant the other day look like new. Just don't use to much.

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I just used Marhyde "regal blue" on my door panels, etc this week and they look really nice. Use a plastic adhesive prep before you spray the paint down.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

thanks guys. I picked up some vinyl spray, cleaned up the dash, wiped it all down, sprayed two very light coats, its out on the deck now drying. looks pretty good from here. sure does look better than the one thats in my truck right now!!! will let you know if it holds up!
    thanks again!

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305