Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

painting wheels.... wally world paint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Feb 8, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm about to throw my rims and tires up under the truck, probably today. I thought of hitting the wheels with a wire brush wheel and throwing some "Color Place" (yeah the $1 crap) black spray paint on them, because that's what we have laying around. Is that a bad idea? Will this stuff peel off before it even hits the wheels? Any idea for not getting overspray on the tires? Should I just hold off and get some better paint? These are just stock wheels, but I'm tired of them looking white /w rust spots :o . Any tips or opinions are welocome. Pics would be cool too :D .
    Thanks,
    James

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

3. 78Suburban

Could you eloborate on what this is? What works best? I thought maybe some rustoleum hammered would work, or maybe some epoxy type paint.. whatever it is, its gonna have to come from a rattle can.
    thanks, :bow:
    James

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hitting the rust with a wirewheel is good, but don't use it over the shiny paint.

or if you do, make sure you go over it with a scuff pad, sandpaper or even some steel wool... the wirewheel will have a tendency to put a sheen on the paint, making for premature peeling...

also unless you remove the rust or "convert" it, it will come back thru eventually... but i'm sure overall they'd be fine for a while...

after sanding, damp towel/ dry towel with denatured alcohol on paper towels or wash em good with soapy water, let dry, paint...

you can mask the tires with masking tape and newspaper. for a quickie you can tuck and hold a piece of thin cardboard, oaktag, etc in the rim edge while you paint that section, then move on to the next section... you can also just paint em then wipe the tire down with thinner....

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Wheel paint is great stuff . I was going to do mine , but ended up using it on my diff covers instead :thumb:

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

It has a higher amount of solids. Resists chips and scratches. More heat resistant. Resistant to brake dust. The Duplicolor stuff in the link above Ive seen at Kragen and Autozone. And Ive used alot of Eastwood products. Good stuff. :waytogo:

7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I painted my old Ramcharger (yes the whole truck) with the ColorPlace crap. Cost me $30 and still looked decent 3yrs later when i got rid of it. Every once in a while I'd have to touch up hard hits, but that stuff is tougher than you'd think. :waytogo:

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I scuffed mine with a red scotch brite, wiped with alcohol to remove any residue and sprayed with wally world paint. They did chip some when I hand mounted my 37s but I think it gave it that fresh "wheeled look":D . I also let it setup for a couple of days before I mounted the tires. Just like anything if you hit it it will come off. I dont have any pics right now I will get some of them on the truck when I get home.

Ira

9. 78Suburban

So u used color place, right? I really appreciate you taking those pics, cause I just may use a can or two of it, because its soo cheap... I may spring for the real wheel paint, the jury is still out.
    Thanks,
    James

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

It has been my experience that cheap rattle can paint does not last on rims. The first rims I did were sandblasted (I am a sandblaster by trade). I primed them and painted em with cheap rattle can paint and after 1 winter the paint was flaking off and the rims were rusting underneath. The next set of rims I did I used acrylic enamel automotive paint with hardener. That was 5 years ago and I have yet to see a chip in the paint.

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I did use color place paint. I think I do not have the rust problems down here in Socal:D . I just hit mine with Flat Black as that is my choice of color for just about anything automotive:D . I did not see the point in the cost or time for quality paint or powdercoating just to scrape it all off on the rocks.:doah: .

Ira

12. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

i was wondering why people dont get the paint that they use on washer and dryers. It is scratch resistant and shiny, in my opinion it the most durable paint out there. I dont know how much it costs tho or if its any good but its just a thought..

appliance epoxy paint is the name and its from rustoleum

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Here are the pics of mine with a few closeups.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I am missing the one of the drivers front but it is one of the best looking ones. For some reason it will not let me upload the image.

Ira

14. 78Suburban

sandawgk5,
    thanks alot for those pics.. I may just use some color place... I'm pretty sure that whatever I do the wheels will be black.
    James

15. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

that is powder coating very nice stuff very strong paint

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah, you can buy appliance paint in spray cans. I painted my very first car with about 20 rattle cans of that stuff. I couldn't scratch it for nothing.

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Rustoleum...

I use Rustoleum paint,either spray bombs or liquid..the liquid seems to hold up better than the spray..and OLD cans of Rustoleum are a different formula than "fresh" ones,I scour the older hardware stores and flea markets for unopened cans of the "old" stock..it lasted longer,was less transparent,and prevented rust better than the new "ozone friendly" stuff..

"Cast Blast" spray paint looks good and holds up well on rims too..

Nothing beats a good automotive paint with hardener though,or epoxy paint..

When I paint my rims,I jack up all 4 wheels and either spin them by hand,or by putting the truck in low gear with the motor running...then I can hold the can steady in one place,and spray it much better than I could with them lying flat or vertical off the truck.no "missed spots"...it makes runs less likely if you use thin coats too,and it dries quickly that way too...just keep the wheels turning slow,too fast will fling the paint off..:doah:

18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

we had good luck at work with the rustoleum hardhat spray bombs.. the black has held up well on the Merc motors....

19. 78Suburban

Where can I get this appliance paint?? I'm still making up my mind on what type to use.. I'm kinda leaning toward the duplicolor wheel paint though.. I'm in no big hurry to paint them.. I THINK I want black, although my white rims are kinda growing on me:thinking: :ooo:
    thanks,
    James

20. 78Suburban

I found epoxy based apliance paint Rustoleum brand (it has washing machine pics on the can) at wal mart. Its offered in white and off white, at least that's all I saw. Any body used this stuff? I'm considering getting some of the cans in white and using it.
    thanks,
    James