Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

painting wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Mar 24, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

anything special to do this?
    special paint?

tips?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

try rustolium to prevent rusting, thats about all i can help /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I would say either bead blast or sand blast them. A couple coats of primer, and then paint of your choice. Implement paint (tractor/heavy equipment) seems to work really well.

Kris

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

they are aluminum
    reason im painting them
    one got like brake dust/salt/dirt baked on it and wouldnt come off without sand paper
    well i have to do it again and its somehow getting rust spots on it...or discoloration

so when i get the time, im going to sand them down and paint them black

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Since they're aluminum, I say bead blast them then primer and paint. I used to do the prep work on painting beer trucks and that's how we did those since they were aluminum as well.

I'm not sure how sanding by hand is gonna look that's my only real concern.
    FYI I found that oven cleaner or windex actually gets the road salt/break dust combo off rather well. I just repolished my steel wheels after they took a beating this winter on my wifes van. They don't look as good as new, but dang close. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

powdercoat them... if you cant afford that try one of the hammerite or rustoleum hammered finish paints... they have great durability and are cost effective

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Blast'm...
    Zinc Chromate prime...
    Spray color..

Zinc Chromate is the only product that will adhere to aluminum... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'm going to wire brush mine and then use that little starter kit POR15 sells for $12 or so. Should cover 4 or 5 wheels well.

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

that little starter kit

what kit?

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

BADONG!

POR 15 SUPER STARTER KIT

I did the math on surface area of the fronts of 4 16" wheels (my application) and it came out with lot's left over on solid 16" circles. If that made sense.....

11. JSH

JSH Registered Member

If you use the POR15 you will want to get some of their topcoat also. The basic stuff is not UV resistant and will fade almost immediately from black to a chalky gray. I did my frame and less than a month later where the sun hit it(the box was off) it had faded dramatically. It seems to be good stuff and really covers well though-self levels and a little goes a long way when you brush it. I didn't get any of the top coat so on some tow hooks i brushed the POR15 and then sprayed some Rustoleum gloss black on while it was still tacky. No long term results from this though so don't know how well the topcoat will stick.

12. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ok, another but related question

how do i remove a tire to paint the wheel without having to go to a shop, then get it back on

or should i try painting it with the tire on

13. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

When I painted my wheels I kept the tire on. I do have easy access to a tire changer so it wasnt like being lazy or anything. I was just worried that after I spent all the time sanding and painting the wheel to look nice, I would scratch it all up trying to put the tires on afterwards.

I taped a circle around the edge of the rim with 1" masking tape, then slid newspaper underneath the lip of it. The nice thing about this is, if you're careful you can use this again on all 4 wheels. Just get some of those big 1000 watt lights so there arent any shadows.

Now this may not work as my tires are also a lot smaller than yours (stock 31, i know, i know /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)and might be easier to handle, but I dont know. I sanded each wheel, gave good primer coverage and about 2 coats of silver wheel paint and I think it looks great There is not any overspray on my tires either. If any of this information is not the best way to go about doing things, some with more experience please say what they would do.

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

mine are only 33's

but i figured that would be the best plan

i have lug cover rings on my wheels, i was thinking of painting the wheel black and the ring either blue like my truck (might be tacky) or shine it up and polish it

15. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I just noticed it clearly says 33" in your sig /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, I must be tired, lol.

I dont know, I have always liked the way black and blue go together, but I guess it depends on the color shade and how it all looks when your done. I think it would look cool if it was done right, but its really up to your own personal preference.

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif