Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

painting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Feb 20, 2004.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I have the front clip off right now. i wanted to primer under everything before i put it back together. When its all back together Im gonna use the compressor and spray the whole thing. the gun has the can on the bottom. (not gravity fed.

can i jus rattle can this and get away with it?

what do i need to do to prep it?

how much is the primer for the outside gonna cost and what brand.

basically how do i paint and what do i need?

the sun is out today and its warm. time to get this thing back on the road.

thanks

69k5

2. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Old school laquer is the cheapest route, but not as "durable" as a newer clear coat. (laquer never really completely dries or cures, so after years & sunlight abuse, it breaks down). Laquer is real easy to spray due to the fact that it is easy to clean up (laquer solvent), very forgiving, and easy to spray w/ the type of gun you have.

As far as the primer goes, buy the correct primer for your paint. the type of paint (even manufacturer) will determine the type of primer. You may get away with rattle can primer underneath sprayed paint, but if you're going to take the time to do it-you may as well do it right. It depends on the level of paint quality you are looking for and the amt of $$$$ you want to spend.

Call around the paint supply stores, you will find that $$$ varies from store to store.

As far as prep goes, bare metal is best wiped down before first coat and between all coats w/ a wax remover. If not bare metal, then clean rough paint (sanded w/ 120 grit for first coat of primer). Throw a few coats of primer and then wet sand everything smooth...then spray your color.

Enjoy

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help. i just want to rattle cun under the cowl and the seams between the fenders and tub while its exposed. i was afraid if i oput it all back together i wouldne get spray up in there.

i dont want to gloss coat it. i want it to look original. i guess that would mean kind of flat.

thanks again

69k5