Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pan gasket on 6.2?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by protechk5, Dec 11, 2006.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Whats the best seal for a pan gasket on the 6.2? A cork one? Or should I just use rvt or something? Also how hard it is? Looks like a pain in the ass with the engine cross memeber. I think the rear main is leaking too, how hard is that? I wont be doing that until my tranny swap in the spring or so.

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Heard lots like a one piece rubber seal but they are hard to find.

No suggestion for RTV or cork, I 've used them together though.

Easy, once you get the tranny out:D Use a one piece, not the rope loking thing.

3. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I just read that if you have a 2 piece rear seal, you can do it with out dropping the tranny and t case??? Someone please tell me I have a 2 piece rear seal!

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Sure, you probably have a 2 piece, that's what's leaking:doah::haha: The 2 piece is the rope one. If you are going to drop the tranny in the spring might as well wait unless it's a bad leak:wink1: and install a one piece then.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

All the 6.2's were two piece rear main seal. Some early ones got the crappy rope seal, and later ones got the hard grooved rubber seals. Mine was that hard grooved rubber seal. Rope seals were also two piece...

The pan gasket set I got was that thick heavy paper with some coating on it. I used gasket glue to stick it to the pan intself, then put a thin coat on the engine side of the gasket and installed it. I have no leaks from the pan or the rear main now.

The rear main is a PITA, and I can't imagine doing it with a tranny still there. You need to make a small wooden dowel tool to push out the old upper half, and push in the new upper half. The Haynes and Chilton's books actually cover this repair in some detail...

Rene